Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post

OPPS just looked at the Millermatic 210 ( The 2 indicated 2 times the price of the 175 - LOL )
    Heres a link to br welding, they have a 210 on sale for 1332. not to far over you're budget.
    http://www.brwelder.com/indextemplat...&SubCategory=1
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Hi harcosparky, welcome to the site. Iím somewhat jealous of you, God gave me two girls, and I mean girly girls, so I never had boys to work with in the shop, but I have 3-grandsons and another one on the way, and their almost to the age I can start to teach them the trade. My advice to you is buy the biggest welding machine you could ever imagine that you would need. Reason I say this I canít tell you how many tons of wire and rod Iíve run in my life, in my day I could make a 400-amp machine set up and beg for mercy. But I ran one of those 120-volt mig machines a few years ago. I wouldnít drag one of those POS home if it were free! Sorry I donít mean to offend anyone, but how in the world do these manufactures expect new guys to learn on these things? Do your self a favor and buy a good machine right up front, one way to look at it, a top machine will hold itís value if you every decide to sell it. Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Hi harcosparky, welcome to the site. Iím somewhat jealous of you, God gave me two girls, and I mean girly girls, so I never had boys to work with in the shop, but I have 3-grandsons and another one on the way, and their almost to the age I can start to teach them the trade. My advice to you is buy the biggest welding machine you could ever imagine that you would need. Reason I say this I canít tell you how many tons of wire and rod Iíve run in my life, in my day I could make a 400-amp machine set up and beg for mercy. But I ran one of those 120-volt mig machines a few years ago. I wouldnít drag one of those POS home if it were free! Sorry I donít mean to offend anyone, but how in the world do these manufactures expect new guys to learn on these things? Do your self a favor and buy a good machine right up front, one way to look at it, a top machine will hold itís value if you every decide to sell it. Just my opinion!
    I agree Pile Buck, we run 100% duty cycle machines on most everything, and when you go back to the little machines it's quite a diffrence going from a 3 phase power source down to a 110V machine! i will say that the MM 175 does prety good when you have it hooked up to 220V but i would shoot for the MM 210 minimum for trailer building.
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

There is no doubt that the 210 beats the 175 in every way except price and weight

But: the 175 is capable of welding a trailer if you want to build a trailer. If you intend to do lots of trailers and long runs of 3/16 + welding then the 175 may be a bad decision. Since you seem comitted and have the intention of doing specific projects i would say get the 210. 600 bucks seems like alot now but when its working great and a pleasure it will be well worth it. I love my 175, i originally bought it to repair the unitbody chassis on my camaro. Had i planned some big projects and knew more at the time i would have gone bigger. My next Mig will be a 251 or equivalent.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Default pipeline dan

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    I hope that wasn't geared to me.
    Were you refering to this statement, "The only "time wasters" are the ocasional thread started by a wise guy just to start an argument." ?
    If so, No , it was not geared toward any one in particular. I was just refering to what I think they call trolls. Every once in a while some one comes on just to start trouble, I remember one was so bad he got kicked off the forum. I was basicly saying to harcosparky not to worry about a question being a time waster becouse he's new. I guess I should have left that staement out, I didn't realize at the time that it might be taken wrong. Sorry.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I agree that the 175 class would work, if you want to build a trailer the 210 is a much better unit. If you want to do it once and be a one unit shop the 210 is the unit. It will do all of this work well.

i would save up a bit longer and go for the MM210, when you start adding suspention mounts to trailor's that others will be loading you will want to be shoure you have it on solid. the $$ diference will be payed for with the first trailor you sell. if you start building snow mobile trailors and want aluminum in the mix later on add a spool gun and your good to go.
    every one is sue happy now days if i was building a trailor to sell i would not want to do it with a welder that is just getting by. the MM210 will still be around long after your 12 year old is gone and back again several times. its a rock solid welder well werth spending the extra $$ to jump up to another class of welder. the MM210 will do all you want and then some, add a TIG unit later for the fancy stuff when you have the time to play for a wile to get the hang of it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I have a Hobart Handler 175 that I purchased new 6 years ago. I think I have pushed this machine to the limit, doing production runs of cattle gates and guards, welding a couple of race car chassis', and many other projects some to 3/8 thickness (multiple pass of course) Today the hobart welds about as good as when it was new. The millermatic 175 is like a brother or cousin to this machine with a couple more features:

Dual feeder drive rolls
    infinetly adjustable heat control
    and of course . . . blue paint.

I also have a syncrowave 180SD, but the handler gets the majority of the work. That being said, I would go over budget and get the 210. There is no reason to constantly push a machine to its limits. My next wire feed will be a 350P

simple things like throwing a sheet over it to keep the extra dust and stuff out, and not pushing it to its limit all the time can keep the welder working like new for a very long time. going $350 over budjet for a welder you will be using for more that 10 years is not a bad thing.
    i have pushed mine on a few ocations but mostly try to stay well within its duty cycle, i'v poped the breaker on the wall once but never had my MM turn its self off. i keep it coverd and open her up and blow it out once a year and i'm happy to say she welds just a sweet today (5+ years later) as the day i got her.
    spend a lil bit more get a lot more welder and never look back. the MM210 will take real good care of you.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Decision Made ( I think ) LOL --- Thanks For The Advice

Well unless something unusual happens between now and Friday I should be the new proud owner of the

Millermatic 210
    Spoolgun 3035

At least this is a package deal from a dealer in my state. Maryland.

Now all I have to do is, buy some cable, install a breaker and run a line out to where I plan on using this. LOL

At least if need be, I have a generator that can run this welder.

In any case thanks for all the words of wit and wisdom!!!!!