Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i do mostly use the 3/32 but wanted to try the 1/16 on some thin stuff to see if it would be werth keeping some on hand. it defenetly has a place. wile most of the stuff i do is fine with 3/32 i still realy liked the 1/16 on the thin aluminum and may well use it when i get a chance to start my TIG cart, just to keep the beads small and pretty so i can show them off insted of grinding them off. we shal see what happens, the tube might be a bit thick for the 1/16 not shore yet. i'll have to do a little playing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The 1/16" is a lot less expensive also, and its not that big a deal to switch over. As long as you don't put more amps through it than it can handle, it still lasts fairly good, unless you dip it in the puddle, witch is easyer to do on thin stuff since the arc is so small.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

yep i have some 2% lanthanated and i think maybee one in 1.5% lanthanated i'll have to look threw what i have but am pretty shore i have enough to do my cart with should i stay with that idea.
    i've gotten real good at staying out of the puddle. my welds are not looking to shabby eather, i'm still not real fast but the look is getting much better and as i do not have to go fast for making $$ i'm ok with still being slow.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i'm still not real fast but the look is getting much better and as i do not have to go fast for making $$ i'm ok with still being slow.
    Hah, I know what you mean, if I relied on welding speed to feed the family, we would starve to death.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Default Update

Well I resolved the problem. It wasn't the tungsten or the machine. It was ME. Lots of practice that last 2 weeks has done wonders. My welds aren't perfect but they are improving. Thanks for all the help guys!
    SolidWorks Premium
    SolidWorks Simulation Pro
    MM210 w/3035
    TA185TSW
    DG Piranha II
    Sharpie Deluxe
    Stars & Stripes BWE
    Blue Optrel Satellite

its all about seat time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

You ain't kiddin!
    SolidWorks Premium
    MM210 w/3035
    TA185TSW
    DG Piranha II
    Sharpie Deluxe
    Stars & Stripes BWE
    Blue Optrel Satellite

I’m curious, how much is “a lot of practice” and how much shielding gas have you gone through? The reason that I ask is that I’ve been doing the same, a lot of practice and I seem to be going through gas in no time (the whole 80cu bottle in it looks like 7 hours of welding according to the hour meter on the welder)
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

Well I guess that "a lot of practice" is probably relative to the amount of time you have available to practice. But to answer your question I have been practicing 1-2 hours a day. As far as argon is concerned that is a little tricky as I got a refill I think about 2 weeks ago. However, in that time I have run through 1100+ psi in a 125cf cylinder (fresh fills have about 2100 psi). I run 8-12 cfh using a gas lense. Yes you run through argon quickly. Especially if you are running short beads (remember that post flow comsumtion as a percentage of weld time).

Hope this helps.
    SolidWorks Premium
    MM210 w/3035
    TA185TSW
    DG Piranha II
    Sharpie Deluxe
    Stars & Stripes BWE
    Blue Optrel Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I’m curious, how much is “a lot of practice” and how much shielding gas have you gone through? The reason that I ask is that I’ve been doing the same, a lot of practice and I seem to be going through gas in no time (the whole 80cu bottle in it looks like 7 hours of welding according to the hour meter on the welder)
    Mark, I'd say that's not bad at all.. If you're doing some welding the gas doesn't last too long. I only keep the 300-and-some sized tanks because anything smaller is frustrating.