Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Darmik thats a nice looking setup and looks very safe. The trouble I see with Triggermans setup is the inclosed van. The driver is in the same compartment as the cylinders. If by chance there was a leak in a gas or co2 cylinder the driver could black out while driving down the road causing a accident or even death to himself or someone else. I think it would be a great setup if the driver was isolated from the cylinders. Maybe I'am thinking to negative here.

Cool Gas

Quote Originally Posted by tommyj3 View Post
    Darmik thats a nice looking setup and looks very safe. The trouble I see with Triggermans setup is the inclosed van. The driver is in the same compartment as the cylinders. If by chance there was a leak in a gas or co2 cylinder the driver could black out while driving down the road causing a accident or even death to himself or someone else. I think it would be a great setup if the driver was isolated from the cylinders. Maybe I'am thinking to negative here.
    Your right thats what could happen however the box that you saw is are you sitting down yet$ 6800.00 bare when I finished this welding truck the bill came to just about $145,000.00 that was labour, toys and tax.and it was over weight by 900 lbs.I just hope trigger is carefull in transit.

OOPs that was 12,700.00 for the body
    Last edited by Darmik; 02-14-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyj3 View Post
    I have always been told it is against DOT Regulations to carry cylinders in a inclosed vehicle, is this the case or not.
    Yes that is the case!!!
    My welding supplier wouldn't even let the tanks off the loading dock knowing they were going to be transported in a closed vehicle. There are many horror pictures of people carrying tanks in enclosed vehicles, some you can't even identify what it was before it blew up. My welding supplier refused to allow me to take my tanks away until I took the cap off my pickup truck (even though I had the side windows open and didn't close the back window), I realize that some suppliers are more strict than others but common sense goes a long way, one should never mix a flamable gas with an oxidizer in an enclosed container whether it has wheels or not. As far as the Argon bottle if it had a defective valve on it and leaked enough it could even suffocate you as Argon is heavier than air and would settle to the bottom of your lungs and fill them up preventing you from getting any oxygen.

The idea and design however is a great idea and would be an excellent way to transport your cylinders in a pickup truck.

I don't mean to sound negative but I'd hate to see anyone get hurt because of unsafe handling of cylinders.

Blondie

Triggerman, it looks like your just gonna have to drive with the window open all the time. It never gets hot or cold in Dallas, Does It? Anyway, it is a great design, I like the 'Nylon'? spacers between the screw. Nice to see someone standing their acetelyne bottle upright instead of laying them down like the morons I used to work with......Jealous in Florida, Paul

Default As a matter of fact......

Quote Originally Posted by paulrbrown View Post
    Triggerman, it looks like your just gonna have to drive with the window open all the time. It never gets hot or cold in Dallas, Does It? Anyway, it is a great design, I like the 'Nylon'? spacers between the screw.
    I always have a rear window unlatched and almaost always have a front window cracked. No, it NEVER gets hot or cold here. Tonight is supposed to be 18 (a little on the coolish side) and in the summer we don't even really start counting until about the 40th consecutive 100+ ( a little on the warmish side) day.

Oh, well. I was working in a -20 freezer today (we do systems that operate as low as -100 and provide the primary loop for some systems that maintain -450) and the engine rooms we work in run 20-25 hotter than ambient, so cracking a window is no big deal.

The spacers between the threaded rod and the bottle are pieces of the same schedule 40 pipe the rings of the base are from.

Thanks for the kudos,
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."