Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Congratulations, looks very neat.

Great looking trailer. Interesting tilt. I have built allot of trailers and the one thing I added to the type you have is a coil over shock ( cheap overload shock you would get for a truck, rear ) That holds the tilt up or down depending if the trailer is tilted or not. I came up with this idea about 15 years ago and have added it to allot of trailers. The idea is when the trailer axle is set back just off center for good towing the deck sometimes doesn't want to stay tilted when loading. The shock has a adjustable mount on the tongue. you mount the shock in the hole for desired up and down pressure. The shock helps control the tilt when loading and holds the deck up or down depending where the deck is. I don't have any pictures so I made up a simple drawing for you yo see what I am talking about.

One of the other idea's I have done is a single tube for the tongue with angle welded on either side of it on the trailer. I then added a swivel mount on the end of the tongue tubing. This allows the the trailer to be turned when tilted. Some skidooers love this option. I even built a trailer that the deck turn 280 degrees and tilted for snowmobilers. this allowed them to drive off and back on the trailer so the front of the snowmobile was always facing the right way without the need to have reverse or drag the skidoo off the trailer. I added air cylinders to one for an old guy so the trailer turned and tilted itself but the cost was way to high.

Hope some of my idea's help in your's and other future designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Thumbs up

Holy **** dude .. that thing is fantastic for your first real project .. i like how it's blue, most ppl paint trailers black , it's nice to see a change
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Thanks for the ideas Jam. I will take them all into consideration after I use it for a bit and see what kind of flaws it has. I painted it blue because my bike and my truck are both blue, So if ya see alot of blue going down the road it's probally me

Sorry for the long and involved post before, got long winded. The part I thought you might like the most was the shock idea. really works great. If your trailer doesn't stay tilted for loading or if it does but comes down hard when you are loading, the shock thing works great. I wish I had a digital camera when I was doing allot of these. Moved on to new idea's and havn't built a trialer in awhile.

The blue trailer by the picture looks as good or better than a factory. Great job. Like the blue better than black. I used to paint my green for fun. Knew when I seen one on the road. Have fun and take care.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Default Tilting trailers

Hi Gurlz: Nice trailer !! Don't forget when you design your trailer, to do so in such a way that when you unload, the bed stays in the unload position and doesn't tip back forward after you drive off, or until the back wheels come back up on the deck. If you're out riding by yourself this makes for some interesting reloading.

Put your pivot pin about 40% forward of the center of the bed, leaving 60% of the deck behind the pin. (makes trailer 10% *** heavy so it'll say down when you ride off.) Otherwise the weight of the front wheels will get forward of center of gravity before the back wheels climb up on the deck, and the bed'll tip down before you're ready. Makes for some pretty funny conversation at the loading site.
    Ronnie

Default Billburn

Quote Originally Posted by hit_em View Post
    I just purchased my first welder, its a miller 251, I have done a little welding before but the was my first real project. Its a 4' x 10' atv tilt trailer, what do you guys think? now be honest It's my first project I need to learn.
    Looks great! I need one of those, did you buy the plans or did you come up with them yourself?
    Last edited by Billburn; 02-12-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I came up with it myself, I used an old axle I had lying around thats why the inside diameter is only 4' wide, or else I would of went atleast 5'

i built a 4'X12' for the same reason(axel with) i went 12' so i could line up 3 quads but this summer i plan on cutting the axel and remaking it to be 6'X10' so i can get all 4 on it at the same time. now that my son is old enough to go out quading with us outside the yard i need to be able to bring his along also insted of ridding him on one with me. my brother usualy shows up for riding day so i need to bring one for him also.
    no cool MM251 for the build here but may get lucky and get a MM210 for the job.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Atvin's always good for a family outing. heres a pick of a carhauler/ 5 atv trailer my dad and I built a few years ago, he did just about all the welding I did the cutting and painting because I was in a wheelchair at the time so it was awkward to get into position to weld!
    Attached Images Attached Images