Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default New Welding Table

I haven't been active over here much (usually spend my time over on the Motorsports forum) but I thought this project would fit better here. This is a welding table I just completed after more than a year of having the material and some of the parts. It has a 1/2" x 4' X 4' top, 2" X 2" corner posts, and 1 1/2" stringers. Most of you are probably going to think this was overkill but I have had this design in my head for a while now and wanted to see how it would turn out.

The first pic is a shot of it all fixtured up and "square" on the platen at one of my client's shop. Welding commences.

Next is the frame welded up enough to get it off of the platen.

The next one is of the table, back in my shop, with the casters bolted on and the rest of the welding completed.

The next pic is the intersteing part of the table design. I strategically placed 16 bushings in the top stringer section of the frame. They will each hold a 5/8" coarse thread bolt that has had the head machined flat. They will all be placed at the same height and then the top will be tacked to each one on two of the opposing hex flats. The idea was that I should be able to get a pretty flat top this way, especially since my plate is cupped approximately 3/16" to 1/4".

The last shot is of one of the bolt heads, after machining, in the lathe.

More text and pics to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 02-07-2007 at 10:22 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

The first shot here is a group (hug) shot of all the bolts set into the frame. I have not leveled them to each other yet but that is the next step.

Second pic is after I got the top on the table.

The third pic is a view of a piece of angle I welded on one side to hang grinders. If you notice, you can also see how much clearance I have from the frame to the underside of the top. It is approximately 2 1/4". I have a couple of deep reach "F" or "L" style clamps and having this clearance will alow me to get those, or some shop made ones, deeper into the table. You can also see just how much edge clamping surface I have with the two clamps in the upper left of the pic, approximately 7 inches.

The fourth pic is of the expanded metal shelf. I used a couple of 1" square tube cross braces in the middle and then some 1/2" X 1/2" X 1/8" angle around the perimeter. I set them all down the thickness of the epanded metal so it will just drop in. I may tack it in later but will see how this works for now.

The last pic is just a close-up of the bottom shelf. The table stands 37" high from floor to top surface and is just perfect for my height. It make it very nice if I have to stand and is just perfect for sitting on a 29" height stool.

I am finished for now and will just use it as is and see what sort of doodads I feel it needs as time goes by. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 02-07-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Kevin,

Thats a nice looking table. . looks like you put a lot of thought and planning in on that. . it should get the job done

good job

Richard

Kevin,

Thats got to be one of the most useful tables I have yet seen, it's even more useful (clamping wise) than mine is . I am suitably impressed, great fabrication as usual.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

great looking table. Nice fab work on the top spacing.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Kevin,

Thats got to be one of the most useful tables I have yet seen, it's even more useful (clamping wise) than mine is . I am suitably impressed, great fabrication as usual.
    Thanks George! Thanks to Richard and Jim to!
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Default Wow!.....

Looks great. All it needs now is a cupholder!

What is that red thing in the picture?

J/K Looks very well thought out and functional.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Thumbs up

Fosters Good!!!!!!

Smile red is all right

Quote Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
    Looks great. All it needs now is a cupholder!

What is that red thing in the picture?

J/K Looks very well thought out and functional.
    that red thing is all right that is what i have I also use my cousin`s blue machines (mig ,tig,plasma cutter), i like thwe way you made the thing for your grinders, i belive i will make me a thing like that to hold my grinders

Inferno Forge

Chris

Default Looking to build

Hi i am new to this site so i hope i'm doing this right. I have been looking at a lot of benches so far your design i like the most, i was wondering if you could send me the plans on how to build it. I do not no how to give you my email without giving it over this post. So if you have a idea on that i would be very grateful. Thank you for the good ideas.