Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spoolmatic problems

I have a spoolmatic 30a hooked to a miller matic 250 that is used for aluminun and am having some problems with it. We use either .035 or .025 wire and have the drive rolls to match, two things are happening, it's either burning off inside the tip, or it acts like it's pulsing while your welding and I don't have a pulser. We have to tighten the tension on it with pliers to get it tight enough to weld but then the wire spirals outta the tip and it leaves grooves in the wire from being so tight. The machine is set at 19 to 21 and the wire speed on the gun is 5 to 8, the machine welds great sometimes and sometimes I wanna throw it out the window. Straight argon is used and I still get a lot of black around the welds even after cleaning with a tiger disc and a ss wire wheel. I also have a Dialarc 250 A/C-D/C machine and want to know if Miller makes a machine that will hook up to it to give it high frequency, pulse, etc. I appreciate ya'lls help,,, Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    I have a spoolmatic 30a hooked to a miller matic 250 that is used for aluminun and am having some problems with it. We use either .035 or .025 wire and have the drive rolls to match, two things are happening, it's either burning off inside the tip, or it acts like it's pulsing while your welding and I don't have a pulser. We have to tighten the tension on it with pliers to get it tight enough to weld but then the wire spirals outta the tip and it leaves grooves in the wire from being so tight. The machine is set at 19 to 21 and the wire speed on the gun is 5 to 8, the machine welds great sometimes and sometimes I wanna throw it out the window. Straight argon is used and I still get a lot of black around the welds even after cleaning with a tiger disc and a ss wire wheel. I also have a Dialarc 250 A/C-D/C machine and want to know if Miller makes a machine that will hook up to it to give it high frequency, pulse, etc. I appreciate ya'lls help,,, Outlaw
    You should ck. the spool tensioner & the plastic wire guides that lead into the contact tip. How about the tip itself has it arced on the inside or plugged up with dirt ? If you have to tighten the tension that much to push the wire a few inches the problem should be pretty easy to spot.

Is the tension on the spool spindle too tight?? There's a nut, tightens up and forces out the rubber spindle to create more drag. Too much, you're trying to pull against it and get erratic feeding.

As said previously check spool tensioner first. Then check the drive roll. Sometimes they get clogged up with aluminum & need to get replaced because they don't grip the wire correctly so you wind up over tightening them to get it to feed. I'm assuming you already replaced the tip. Try pushing the gun to aleviate black soot. ---MMW---
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

lramberson Guest

.035 aluminum wire needs a larger tip than .035. I would have to go into the shop but if my memory serves me right I think it is .041, I will check and post back in a minute.

Do you have a newer gun or one with the quick tip (older)?

Are you pre flowing your gas & what amount of gas are you using?

I think your liner might have also went south, there should not be that much tension on the feed roll to push that wire like that.

The unit is pretty easy to service, check your tube and tip, mine does put little teeth marks in the wire but not much.

One last thing to try. remove your tip and loosen the feed down on booth the spool and the feed and see how the wire runs. If it feeds well, its in the tip.
    I can actually just finger my tension and the wire runs well.

Let us know what you find.
    Out to the shop it see the size.

Cool

Make sure the spool is turning on the spindle. So many times mine has given me fits and that is the problem. It gets bits of something in there and locks it up. Every new roll i put on gets a 5/8" bit run thru it just to be sure....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

lramberson Guest

Correct Fastip for .035 aluminum is the .035/.052 tip, not the .030/.035.
    Just the heads up....

.035 aluminum wire needs a larger tip than .035.
    That's for sure The instruction book for my 30A (about a year old) specs a .047 Fastip #206 187, used with drive roll #136 135. Those would be the first areas to look at.

The 30A has a 2-stage trigger which includes gas preflow. There are two things I do when aluminum welding. First, as soon as the Argon tank valve is opened, pull the trigger halfway (so the wire does not feed). Count to ten or fifteen to allow the Argon to fill the line from the tank to the gun. Then, on every arc start, pull the trigger halfway for one or two seconds to get shield gas coverage before starting the arc.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Hey, thanks for the information,,, been messing with most of the stuff yall suggested except for the larger tips. Do yall run enough tension on your spools to keep it from backlashing? I'll get some bigger tips and change the liner when I open up tomorrow. The rig is probably about 5 years old and really can't complain about it, usually run about 35 on my flow meters and will start paying more attention to pre and post flow. Appreciate it, will keep yall posted, later ,,, outlaw

Cool

I have looked at tips for about 2 years, and worked with a few tip companys engineers to iron out some problems. Most .035 tips are .010-.014 thou bigger so they should work with no problem so they are already .045-.049. But some tips are just as they say .035 and .035 wire just squeeks thru, then you add the little knurl from the drive rolls and the wire is too big now to fit. I was drilling some out to get the fit i wanted and they worked fine. My spoolgun with the proper .035 tips just would not work well, and they were the biggest i coud buy. So i redesigned the gun to take different tips. It worked so well i am going to switch my other gun over also. Now i can run .035 marked tips with zero problems with .035 wire. So all tips are not created equal no matter whose name is on the package, check them out with some small wires and a mic and you will see, i used the smooth end of the tip cleaners for a torch for the gage wires....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48