Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The problem I have seen with the speedglass hoods is the odd shaped clear lens - when you go the the welding supply store they are often out. I used to love the Jackson shadow series, until I tried a Fibre-Metal Tigerhood. Those things are great and inexpensive - especially if you have to wear it on a hard hat - I wear a Fibre-Metal hard hat anyway so it is a great fit! Lots of my friends at work were picking on it because of its size - until they tried it - now many of them own one too. I
    Big blue 251D, dead maxstar 140

Default welding helmet

I got an Optrel last year - I'm not looking any further, it does what I want.

I love my 9002x with flexveiw. The only gripe is that the headgear sucks, it never stays up. I fixed that buy using an old Huntsman headgear and blocks, a couple of 4-40's, and now the best helmet ever.

well i have to say that speedglass makes nice helmets, athough i wouldnt say that there any better than my miller elite. I tried both out b4 i bought my helmet and liked the miller better. Honestly i think that all the top brands are equally good, just make sure u get the big screen as that makes all the differnce and dont ever buy cheap discount helmet, i bought a $50 auto when i started welding and after heavy use my eyes would be sore. With miller i can weld all day and my eyes feel fine.

I have a Miller 9000X and I was happy with it for the 4 years I had it. Now I have to wear a respirator and it doesn't fit. Too tapered. Looking at the Miller, 'cause it has 4 sensors, my speedglass has only 2. When I tig, helmet shuts off and on = I'm blinded! I tried my friends Miller with the 4 sensors and had no problem!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

yeah the 4 sensors are great, never get arced and u really notice it when u watch someone else weld as will go dark/light all the time depending if the arc is totatlly visalbe but never do u get arced. The sensitivey adjustments are ace on the miller elites as well, u can set it up for any condition.

me loves my elite, even if it did cost me $350

I have looked at the speedglass in catalogs, but have never seen one on the shelf. They look kind of small for overhead. I have and use a 27 year old flip front jackson (it was the very first composite hood they made and I got it for the weight). I have a fibremetal I got for wear on a hardhat that is virtually identical to the old jackson. Now that I don't have to wear a hardhat to weld I mostly use my pancake (it's handmade so I can't tell you who made it, and at least 15 years old) with a shade ten auto lens. I have much fewer headaches using it, there is no glare from any source, and it will fit in places no conventional hood will fit. I am actually considering the new Jackson Boss because of the 6 ounce hood weight, largest viewing area in an autodark, and the 3 in 1 capability. I pretty much have to grind every weld down flush and smooth and use cut off wheels on a 4 1/2 inch grinder a lot and it's a real pain switching back and forth.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Thumbs up the new Miller BWE's have a grind mode.

i hear you about the grind mode. i wish Miller had put it in their BWE sooner so i would have got it with mine. but at the going rate for the new BWE with grind mode i think i'll stick with my old one for a wile. its about 6 years old and still going strong on the factory battery's so i don't think its going to break and give me a reason to upgrade to the new one, thats a good thing.......i suppose. yea it is, i could never afford a new one now. it would really put a dent in any chance of getting a MM212.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

What are you talking about pancake hood? Show us a pic, eh? Ran into my old classmate, he was buying the Jackson Boss, and going to cut it out and rivit it to a leather hood. Never heard of that done either!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Lightbulb

borrowed these pic's from the ask andy site.
    here is a link to a maker also
    pancake hood
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES