Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

You only have one pair of eyes, either use a standard flip glass helmet, or get an autodarkening one with built in safety features. I use a Speedglass 9002X and it works great. I suspect other high end ones do as well.
    Jim

yep. ya only get one set (for now any way) so, stick to a good name brand and you should be fine. just pick the one with the options you think will suit you best, there are lots to chose from.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

You want to find one that fits your head and is comfortable to wear. I have a BWE and am happy with it. I find that when I am stick welding or mig on a long weld or big project I use my fixed lens Jackson that I have had for 15 years or so. I love the way it fits my head. It was like $50 back then with a gold shade lens that I bought not knowing what it was but had heard about. Dumb luck on the lens. I hate welding without it now. I am thinking about trying a Next Gen as I hope the headgear to be the same as other Jackson. Someday.
    Amos F

Default welding helmet

I too vote for the speedglass 9002X, that's what I have. It's light and durable. Before I bought the helmet, I went to one of my lws's and asked them their opinion about speedglass vs. miller elite series. They claimed that a local company purchased the elites for their employees but were so dissapointed in the quality that they returned them and replaced them with speedglass. I don't know how true that story is, but there is an opinion for you.

I've have the speed glass helmet with the three cartraige air filter pack for about 7 or eight years and I love it when I have to work in semi confined areas, it cost the company like $800.00 for helmet and filter pack combined.It hangs up next to my $24.00 jackson I always grab for first for most jobs.You have to check the air flow with the meter that comes with the helmet and the batery pack and charger that gives about 8 hours on a charge, I bought a spare battery. I also have to get certifide for that and other reserators I use by the company safty manager.Oh yes the filter cartraiges come 6 to a pack for about $180.00, thats about $90.00 per change.

i have 30 dollar jackson with halo on it to go on hardhat. dont need nothing else

Over the past 12 years I've used a Jackson helmet with a gold plated filter shade. Since I got used to the gold shade, I haven't used anything else. I use a North PAPR with the helmet for the dirty work. I've found using the gold lens shows the colors of the welding environment more true to real colors, handy for tig, and I haven't been able to switch back to standard blue or green shades. One thing that really stands out to me while using a gold lens is that my eyes don't feel as dried out at the end of the day.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

My metal fiber helmet is several years old, I have many lenses from the 6 to 12 shades. I have the bifocal sets to work with the helmet.

I have an earlier Miller with the auto shade system. Then I bought a auto shade lens for the metal fiber. These both work well and the metal fiber one has lots of extras because it has been out for many years.

If it's a choice between looking cool and more money for a better welder, go for the welder.

Default speedglass all the way!

Personally, speedglass rises above the competition. If you're serious about welding, you need to be serious about your hood. The only concern I have, is that it doesn't cover the ears very good from the arc. So instead of buying and imitation, I added protection to the sides with duct tape.

I have a 9002x with supplied air and flex view, and the 9002v, i love them both !