Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by calweld
    I liked Mac's description about how he's making the rear seat area a tool storage area. One question, though, around here, the thieves are breaking windows, even out here in the country, stealing whatever is in the cab. Is this not a problem where you keep your truck?
    At least for me, I live in my travel trailer in a friend's large, gated back yard. Both my trucks are locked in the back yard within 20' of me at night. During the day, it would take them breaking into it while on a public jobsite or parking lot. Not that this is burglar-proof in today's society, but it's about as good as it's going to get until Armageddon.

Is this you brand new 550 that's broke? Is it a powerstroke? How many miles on it? I feel for you if its your new truck, that's just sucks the "new car" shine feeling right out of a guy.
    It's an '02 7.3PSD. got some kind of fuel system hiccup. I knew it had issues when I bought it, so I'm not real distressed. It has 160k all highway miles. Very nice clean truck XL package so it's nice to be in.

how much can that autocrane lift when horizontally extended? It might be the ticket on my next truck, looks pretty compact
    It is an Autocrane 3203PRX, it will lift 3200lbs close in and 660 15' out. It has 360deg power rotation and power extension. It weighs a little over 500lbs, half what a 5000lb crane weighs.
    No, it won't lift heavy components but it is like having a helper riding along, only better.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke
    Then, there is a central axle disconnect manual pull and lock cable (like a PTO or RPM set cable), this gives me 2wd lo and it engages the front axle for 100% and reliable 4x4 activation, vs. the factory vacuum unit that freezes up in the winter and is sketchy at best for the rest of the year.
    that is a great idea Coal, why haven't i thought of that LOL. i have a 97 Ram and while going into 4wd never seems to be a problem sometimes coming out is. have you noticed this with the "Coalsmoke fix" if you have the time please e-mail me on how well it works and the details of the install. tigman250@yahoo.com

thanks Coal
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

mostly cutting edges,
    It is great for cutting edges, oil drums, hanging steel, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice rig Coal, thanks for walking us through it. also thanks for taking the time to e-mail me that info the other day.
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke
    The green is a 7” Hitachi, by far the best grinder I have ever used. The rest are fine, they’re what you’d expect them to be, just not as amazing as the big green beast. One last note about grinders, I prefer the ‘rat-tails’ to the grinders that are just cylinders in shape,

I'm glad you're happy with your hitachi, as I am far less than thrilled with my hitachi 4.5" grinder. I'm on my second in 2 months. the first one I had lasted for 2 years until the smoke got let out of the motor. (I wasn't even doing anything demanding with it either, cutting 26ga w/ an .045 wheel). the second one was the replacement I bought for the first. it lasted 2 months before it wouldn't shut off. it's currently in for warranty work. I've been considering buying a 7" grinder.. are they worth it? I''ve got an old 9" rockwell that frankly scares the crap out of me, so I don't use it.

I posted earlier about unremarkable my setup was, then as I read your posts, I'm like: yup, got that. yup got that too for most of the stuff. my tool setup appears to be very similar, except I don't have a gouge setup or a gas compressor. I do keep about 1000' of 10/3 extension chord though and probably another 800' of 12ga. but I need to support a crew of 3-5 guys.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

I laughed when I saw the bit about the wasp spray. I keep it too, usually in the cab. One note, ether works just as good, just be sure to get the kind that shoots a stream and not a spray.

Interesting to compare how your truck is set up and organized -- both the similarities and differences from mine and others. I'll be getting more of mine posted when I get a chance, just been a little busy this week.

J-Dogg Guest

Nice lookin rig coalsmoke, also looks like you like to shop at ptincess auto lol

Nice rig coalsmoke, thanks for sharing it!
    Stickwelds

millermatic 251
    thunderbolt xl
    hypertherm powermax 380
    jet bandsaw
    delta chopsaw

Excellant thread going here.I did post a pic of my truck in another but have added a few things since then.Soon as I get a chance I`ll get some new pics and do an inventory.