Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    The forklift driver refused to load it in the F-250, said he would not be responsible for what happened to the truck . I replied just load the freaking thing or get out of the forklift and Iíll do it! So he did . The spool was to big to fit between the wheel wells, so it mostly sat on the tail gate. I was so impressed with what that truck could haul. Thatís why I bought the F-550!
    it must of been one of the "super duty" F250's. the last Ford our company had was a '90 F250.. the thing couldn't haul squat.. GVWR of 6600lbs and it weighed 5000lbs. if you put anywhere near 1600lbs in the bed, the bumper was **** near scraping the ground.

funny story... The dirt contractor we use is a GM outfit, 99% their trucks (pickups, the bigstuff is all Mack) are Chevy/GMC. anyways, they had a couple of Fords and one day they parked one of them behind the maintenance shop door. their mechanic had just finished a service on one of their Cat 345 Excavators and started backing it out of the bay. the problem was he didn't expect the Ford to be there and didn't look back.. all of a sudden he feels the back of the 'hoe come up and a horrendous BANG. he gets out and finds a half crushed ford under the track of the 345. I laughed my ass off when I heard that story for the first time.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    it must of been one of the "super duty" F250's.
    Humm, thatís news to me, I thought all F-250ís were super duty . But Iím not a Ford man!
    Yes it was a ďsuper dutyĒ.

Thatís funny about the excavator walking over the Ford.

I didnít actually see, but seen the results. In the early 1980ís I was working on the east end of the West Seattle Bridge. I was in the sheet pile crew building cofferdams. Another crew was driving the concrete piles inside these cofferdams. They had a Fully dressed Manitowoc 4100,it had every oz. Of counter weight Manitowoc recommended, check plates and all. They had a set of overshot telescoping leads with a huge spotter. This thing was close to 300-tons. When ever they had to walk it out in the street to get to another cell, if they ran over one of those little turtle bumps in the street it was nothing but dust when the track came off of it. Anyway they were getting ready to back this 4100 up to get into a better position to drive a pile. The foreman walked around the rig to make sure no one was behind the rig. Walked out front to give the crane operator the all clear single. During this time the foreman was walking up the side of the crane a pile buck apprentice drove up in a little pickup, (canít remember if it was an S-10, or Ranger what ever little pickup they had in those days) behind the crane to drop off a trash pump. While the kid was carrying the pump to another cofferdam, they walked this 4100 right over the hood of this little pickup. Crane operator said he never felt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Humm, thatís news to me, I thought all F-250ís were super duty . But Iím not a Ford man!
    Yes it was a ďsuper dutyĒ.
    in the previous generation of ford trucks (i.e not the ubiquitous F-250 and F-350 superdutys) the F-250 came in 2 flavors, regular and "Super-Duty", the regular F250 4x4's got the IFS twin traction beam front end and the "Super Duty" got a regular solid axle. once the Superduty became a seperate body style, (97?, 98?) there was also a LD F250 that looked just like the F150.

sometimes I forget how long the Super Duty has been a model..

myself, I'm a GM guy... my 88 K2500 just keeps going and going.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    welderdan; welcome to the gange, you are a bit smaller than most of the guys here but maybee they will be nice and keep the short jokes to a minimum.
    nice truck.
    although i'm shore some one will say something - about the lack of steel toed boots.
    its hard to keep the kiddo out of the shot

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    myself, I'm a GM guy... my 88 K2500 just keeps going and going.
    I use to be really into cars and trucks. But having so many company trucks. With it always hanging over my head, to get a phone call, and someone on the other end say, ďturn your truck into the equipment department and someone will drive you to the airportĒ. I just lost interest in them. Iím to the point now, if I turn the key, and it starts, good enough!

Who has had their rig weighed?How much? I have a 01 f350 srw with a gvwr of 9900, with out a welder it is 10,400 then add me (265)and a machine(600 or 1700) and it gets heavy fast. How much can you push the gvwr?I dont want to buy a new truck but I dont want to be unsafe because Im to cheap.I have up-graded my springs by adding two leafs and added a dually kit, so I feel I am at least a little better than the stock gvwr but my brakes dont feels as strong as I would like.

I had a 1977 Chevy 1 Ton that weighed 12,800lbs, My '91 F450 13,400lbs, '02 F550 14,100lbs

Default big man

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    Who has had their rig weighed?How much? I have a 01 f350 srw with a gvwr of 9900, with out a welder it is 10,400 then add me (265)and a machine(600 or 1700) and it gets heavy fast. How much can you push the gvwr?I dont want to buy a new truck but I dont want to be unsafe because Im to cheap.I have up-graded my springs by adding two leafs and added a dually kit, so I feel I am at least a little better than the stock gvwr but my brakes dont feels as strong as I would like.
    600-1700 lbs is a big jump first thing I'd find out is how much your welder ways? Throw everything that you have for tools weigh it then see what your up against, If you don't want to spend money on a new truck(love the smell of a new truck)then take a look at a 302 I think they run at about $5-6000 but they are only 5-600lbs I think also see if you can light'en your skid in your truck get rid of as much junk you can every little bit helps. if you brakes don't work on that Ford maybe look at a Dodge.I live in Alberta so I'm not sure
    what your rules are inregards to dot and last but not least if your stuck between a rock and a hard place over this rig weight then look at the 265 theres a way to drop weight and its free just kidding
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

sorry to be unclear, my truck with the tools , aircomp, and bottles is 10,400 pounds.My 301g weighs about 600 and my bb400 is around 1700.so my weight will change depending on what welder I have on the truck.I most likely will get a new truck but I just wanted to know how much others have pushed the gvwr on their truck.I was thinking I could get a 450-550 axle from a junk yard but once you get a new truck on the brain its hard to let go.What mods have others done to increase the paylod on their trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Pile Buck, that's because for some reason Ford has stayed with a Dana 70 in the rear of the F450, same thing that's in most 3/4 and 1Ton pick-ups. The F450 is just a pick-up with heavier brakes and suspension components. The F550 Actually uses a proper truck axle, the Dana 135.
    My '99 F350 SRW Weld truck weighed in consistently at a portly 12,000 lbs with a 9900lb GWVR. I had heavy springs added and the truck never complained one bit. The tires on the other hand were a major problem. When a tire is loaded to its max capacity it rapidly deteriorates. I would be very lucky to get a year out of a tire. My '06 Dodge 3500 DRW is right on its GWRV at 12,200 but I am much more confident with dual 10 ply tires on the rear. I put air bags in this one instead of springs so it isn't so squashed. Not sure if I like the air bag ride yet versus stiffer springs - a little more bouncy/tippy feeling. FYI the 99 F350 has a Dana 50 front and a Ford Corporate rear. My 2002 F350 DRW (and I think all other F350 DRW and F450's) has Dana 60 fronts and Dana 80 rears. F550's have Dana 60 fronts and the massive Dana 135 rears. Dodges now have AAM axles front and rear instead of Dana and the jury is still out on their merits. They have no aftermarket support yet and only two gear choices so far - 3.73 and 4.10.

If you are over on your GWVR and/or GAWR's your local road inspector type people may be able to fine you heavily and make you comply with weight ratings before letting you travel on if pulled over. I have a friend who was fined $750 twice here in BC for being overweight in his work pickups. Also your licensing and insurance has its own weights that you can be out of compliance with. Of the top of my head I think here it is 5,000 Kg max and then you have to go to some other commercial licensing system. If you are overweight and involved in an accident you could possibly be libel.
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300