Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

i know if i spent the day working in 20 below i would be having several jack & cokes probly - the coke.
    when i was working it 125+ in AZ i almost always had a beer when i got home, a cold beer and a big 11ft. bermease python over the sholder cooled ya right off.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default 11 ft bermease python?

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i know if i spent the day working in 20 below i would be having several jack & cokes probly - the coke.
    when i was working it 125+ in AZ i almost always had a beer when i got home, a cold beer and a big 11ft. bermease python over the sholder cooled ya right off.
    mmmmm jack & coke .I'll tell ya what, any man that can work in 125 heat
    while welding is man enough to wrap a 11ft bermease python around his neck.
    Here in Canada it doesn't get that hot but when It does, and my wife has on her wicked weasel I let her play with my trouser snake
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Thumbs up quick connect on tiger torch

coalsmoke wasn't it you who wanted to see if my torch quick connect was going to work? I got it done and it works great. Ya got to do it it just makes things so much more tidy
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Default quick connects

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Dan, good to hear. Yup, I was letting you guinny pig it. Now I won't have to always mess with undoing the cutting torch and threading on the tiger. How much did you spend on those disconnects? I think they are about $40 a pair here, not sure if they are the good ones or the cheap ones though.
    I usually buy those red and green ones, but I like these other ones I bought
    I don't know the breed of them but they are like kind of a smokey chrome
    colour and the other one is kind of a brassy colour.I will run these for a while
    to see if I like'em or not. Those green and red ones kind of suck when they
    get dirty, and I have big nuckles(so the wive says) and the red and green ones can be a ***** to get off if you don't have the room, dam Victor
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Welp Iíve seen a few tuff days in my time, like swinging a 20-pound sledge overhead, while hanging in a safety belt, but that kind of crap came with my line of work.

But, but, Iíve never seen minus anything degrees. Other than working at Lake Tahoe or the Columbia River gorge in the winter. Thatís the coldest IĎve ever been, so I feel for you guys back east or up north.

Hereís a picture of my company pickup while working in the gorge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Pile Buck;67610]Welp I’ve seen a few tuff days in my time, like swinging a 20-pound sledge overhead, while hanging in a safety belt, but that kind of crap came with my line of work.

But, but, I’ve never seen minus anything degrees. Other than working at Lake Tahoe or the Columbia River gorge in the winter. That’s the coldest I‘ve ever been, so I feel for you guys back east or up north.

Do you think you would use pre heat? We are not anything special up here in Canada, well maybe we'd think we are but Its just if you haven't been here to exp. it then its hard to explain. Thats like me telling you guys about hot wheather it gets hot here but not like you guys down south
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Sheesh, how long did it take you to get into your cab?
    You know I donít remember! That picture was taking in my driveway; I rented that mobile home in the background. This is just east of Stevenson. Our job site was right across hwy 14 from the little town of Bonneville. This was the very last job I got to do without a cell phone tied to my neck. I was running a crew of weldors on night shift. The phone in the trailer wasnít working so I couldnít call to see if anyone was going to work, most of the crew came from Portland. So I ventured to work, it was all the 2-wheel drive Chevy could do, even with tire chains, and that 36-inch pile cutoff in the back. Everything was fine on hwy 14, but once I turned off the hwy headed down to the river whoa! I made it, but it took forever, got there just about dark, no one in sight. Stayed awhile just to see if anyone would show. Decided to go back to my trailer. Got within 2 to 300-yards of the hwy, and got stuck. Our dirt sub contractor had left one of their loaders right at the hwy. I walked up to it but no keys anywhere! Remembered we had a 966 loader on site. Not wanting to venture through the woods I stayed on the road, snowing like a son of gun the whole time. Got to the loader, climbed up the ladder, turned the key, dead as a doornail. Went back to the job site office and rested for awhile, played on the computer, then got bored, decided to walk up to the truck because it would be light in a couple hours. Now the snow is over my crotch, but never being one to back up, I keep going. It was all I could do to walk from the river to the pickup just a couple hundred yards from the hwy. The thought crossed my mind a couple times. Great theyíre going to find you frozen in the middle of the road. Once I got to my pickup I started it to get warm. Hour or so later an oiler who worked for our sub showed up. He had a key to their loader. Took him only a few minutes to clear the road for me. Went home and pulled the covers over my head!

I can't believe they didn't get you a 4x4 truck for the winter jobs,
    Funny you should mention that, few years later is when I did that Job at Rainier Oregon, just luck of the draw I got an F-250 4x4. The beach there was really sandy I would pull right down next to the river, and have the guys bring the skiff in to pick me up, **** why should I walk when I had 4x4.

That truck right there convinced me I wanted a Ford for my next truck. My company was building a bridge in Kelso WA not to far from Rainier. The company had bought a crawler crane from someone there in Canada, but we didn’t get any certs on the boom wire. So the job had to replace the boom wire. I needed crown buoy wires, so I went to this bridge job for the spool of wire. The forklift driver refused to load it in the F-250, said he would not be responsible for what happened to the truck . I replied just load the freaking thing or get out of the forklift and I’ll do it! So he did . The spool was to big to fit between the wheel wells, so it mostly sat on the tail gate. I was so impressed with what that truck could haul. That’s why I bought the F-550!

What year is your F550? It has the powerstroke right? Had any problems? I was looking at a F450 yesterday, I think they are winning me over.
    Itís a 2004, only problem Iíve had was keeping the intercooler hose on, but thatís fixed now. According to the Dieselstop forum, I do believe most of the problems are solved. I was really torn between the 6.0 and the V-10, knowing **** well I was only going to put 3 to 4,000 miles a year on the truck. But I got talked into the 6.0. Would I recommend it? I donít think so! I would have paid much more to get something like the F-550 with a Cummins, could have got a Cummins or CAT if I moved up to the 650. But didnít want anything that big. The 550 is the same size as the 250. I looked at a cab and chassis 450 last year at the local dealer, I was amazed at the difference in the rear axle of the 450 to the 550.

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post

But, but, Iíve never seen minus anything degrees. Other than working at Lake Tahoe or the Columbia River gorge in the winter. Thatís the coldest IĎve ever been, so I feel for you guys back east or up north.
    It's no fun at all... there's only been two jobs where I've HAD to work below 0F. one was at a boat yard, the other was across the street from an airport runway. I mention this because both jobs had at least 3 miles of open space for the wind to blow. -10F and 40MPH winds are f'n brutal. I can't even imagine the guys pipelining up in northern canada. I looked like a bear waddling around with my insulated coveralls, lined ****ies, and several lined flannels on, and I was still cold. on those days, my Cat would have to run for an hour before it would even move.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600