Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Default Road Bans

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Aren't the road bans for 10,000kg and up. That's what they are down here at least. I really hope that's the case. If not, what do all the guys with teh F450 and F550 welding rigs do?

The Road Bans are somewhat variable and can affect all vehicles, but the last ones to get banned when the roads get really sloppy are those with 1 Ton or under weight ratings (F350, 3500's, pickups etc). Everything else has to travel at off hours (like the middle of the night) when the road is more frozen up or not at all. There is some discretion on the part of whoever is monitoring the road but they can be real A-holes about it. Last spring there was a Weldor ahead of me one morning with an F350 Dually weld truck with a deck on it that got banned while I got through with my F350 Single rear wheel weld truck with a skid just because his looked too heavy, although my truck was at least 2000 lbs overweight and probably heavier than his at the time. There may have been one F450 style weld truck that I saw on a facilities job last winter. Other than that one I don't recall seeing any others. A lot of the Crew/Picker trucks are F450/550 based now but I am sure they get hassled too.

Keep in mind that F450's and up are commercially classed and the warrantys are minimal if anything other than a just a short term on powertrain only. Same thing with a F350/3500 cab and chassis and also they may balk on your warranty if you pull your box off and put a deck on.
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Default Trailers and camping on the job

Ditto on everything Dan said about living in a trailer in the cold. There is no way I would do it in the Winter, Spring or Fall. I stayed in mine a month this summer on a job and it was great in that I made a ton of money off the live-out allowance but you do get used to the comforts of a nice full service hotel or camp. I lived at the Marriot in Portland for a year one time and coming home to no maid was a bit of a let down
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

I can understand the below zero thing, those are the nights you and your helper just need to spoon.
    Just kiddin, however sharing a camper with a helper when it stays above 20 degrees at night is a good way to get the job done and do what you are suppose to do on the road, make money & save money not drink it up in the bar and loose it at over priced motels.
    My best friends brother in law is a boiler maker, Hes a **** of a nice guy but he blows alot of money at the bars and on his motel and keeps his wife and kids living in a double wide trailer when he makes around $ 90,000.00 a year.
    If your going to blow your money like that you might as well get a job at wall mart. at least then his wife could get a job too.

I agree, there is a guy around here somewhere, that has a 6x10 enclosed utility trailer he has customized, sat TV, internet the whole thing. That makes sense, get a motel when you have to and bunk when you need to. I wouldnt be spending 40K on a trailer to save, but a couple grand is a different story, he has his fixxed up for heat, storage under bunk, etc, said its very comfy and no one notices it parked out of the way, easy to tow.

Hey which dealer is that, Dams? My guy was totally adamant about not selling me a 450/550 or cab and chassis 350 even. He couldn't get me a 6spd 06 F350 so I went down the street and bought a Dodge from a much more amicable dealer. Hey I thought you were a Dodge guy - what are you doing looking at Fords! Putting F350 logos in place of the 450's is probably an easier way to fool any road ban enforcers.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Coal, he didnt need a 50Kbtu furnace, 20# bottle probably went 2 weeks in that little trailer. It was one of the guys on the forums but cant recall which one? I dont think he stayed in it for months on end, probably got a motel on occasion or once during the middle of the week? Not sure but it made a lot of sense for his application and towed behind his rig like a feather. I know he said he had it all fixxed up and it was very comfy.

I think he had a little one like these in the pic, went inside and customed it. http://www.internet-trailer.com/?gts...rgo%20trailers

even the options are cheap on these. http://www.sdgsales.com/ct_6_ft.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Coal, he didnt need a 50Kbtu furnace, 20# bottle probably went 2 weeks in that little trailer. It was one of the guys on the forums but cant recall which one? I dont think he stayed in it for months on end, probably got a motel on occasion or once during the middle of the week? Not sure but it made a lot of sense for his application and towed behind his rig like a feather. I know he said he had it all fixxed up and it was very comfy.

a 50K unit would heat the inside of that trailer to about 180F... I keep a little 12,000 catalytic propane heater in my tool trailer (14' enclosed). even when it's -15F, it'll heat the inside of that UNinsulated trailer to about 55-60deg. running full bore for 8hrs a day, I'd get 3 or so weeks out of a 20# bottle.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

I really liked his idea of being cheap light and simple. It may not work for everything all the time but the convenience factor was high and the investment low. I think he had a grill, a little fridge and a small micro, probably ate out at least once a day, thats what I would do if I could, inverter for a little AC power. Personally I would forget about work and rolling around in the mud if I had to put another 40k in a truck and another 40 in a trailer,, ha,, thats just me. I think if I was making tis a major plan it woiuld involve some truck and trailer rebuilding, get something you could live with, make it what you want, something proven and for a trailer I would be tempted to start with one of these cargo units and build into it or possibly find a travel unit and tear the guts and all that junk out and start over. I have an airstream, had another one and liked the floorplan of the old one better but If I was going to live in it for a job it would get stripped. Under all that shine the utilities are terrible, just a bunch of tubing and romex pluss all that 12volt crap and it would be history with modern inverters as well as having self draining plumbing instead of rolled tubing. I would toss a lot out, one bed, a couple folding cots if extra was needed, a new layer of foam insulation added, curtains instead of doors, all 120V power. I wouldnt need 4 burners and full oven, make the bathroom bigger.