that's why I love my cummins
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Pile Buck, My 550 is a 1999 and weighs out at 16,680Lbs with my equipment on it. there are times when I load 1500 lbs worth of steel on my rack and load my four 1/2 thick 4' x 8' road plates on my trailer and then put my john deere backhoe on top of the plates. so its not uncommon for me to have a total load of 30,000 Lbs all out of a truck that is the size of a 1 Ton truck.

I guess it seems that there is no convincing some of these guy about what a good work truck ford makes.
    There might be a reason why you see more ford trucks on the road?????????

However if I were to buy a truck for a luxury ride and creature comforts I would look at the chevy for the nicer interior, and the only thing that dodge has going for it is the cummins Diesel.
    Put the Cummins diesel in the ford and there wouldnt be any other work trucks. However I am yet to have a problem with my 7.3 diesel.

My 5500 is in the shop as we speak. I have ninety nine thousand five hundred on it and after what a bud went through on his Dodge I decided to not go over 100,000 before taking it in.

Mines a 2003, one of the first on the road in north Texas. According to the dealer they've seen more of my truck than any other medium duty. Most of it's about all the bells and whistles. I got the loaded to the max version with power everything and I've had a lot of problems with switches etc until I figured how they work.

I'm on my third set of Michelins on the front. The factory set and the replacements each lasted about forty eight thousand miles and wore square. While we had the front wheels off installing the new tires I checked the front brakes. They're original. I'm setting with about a third of pad left. At this rate I'll get at least a hundred and twenty to a hundred and thirty thousand miles miles out of them.

The rears I had changed out at seventy five thousand. The tech said I shortened the life of the pads when I got buried in sand and didn't pull the wheels and powerwash out all the debris afterward.

I also had the injectors replaced at seventy five thousand. One of them let go and they replaced them all on warranty.

The Allison is the slickest thing I've ever known. It's like having someone a lot smarter than you sitting besides you shifting up and down as you do down the road.

My truck with it's eight foot wide thirteen foot long bed required a long wheel base cab and chassis. But even with that I can hang a U turn on a four lane road and not jump the curb either side. One of the first things I had to adjust to was over correcting when hauling a large gooseneck or my twenty five foot pintle hitch trailer.

When the 97 3500 HD hit a hundred thousand miles I was looking at rebuilding the transmission and generally wanting a new truck. This truck at a hundred thousand feels like it's good as is for many more miles, many many more.

If you're ever in need of a grin go down to your GM dealer and look at the bare cab and chassis medium dutys, 4500 and 5500. Then go to their competitors and look at those cab and chassis.

You'll laugh.

GM pulled their parts for the new trucks off of their bigger trucks instead of bumping up their one tons.

I've got a couple of friends who live and die for their Dodge cummins. The reason I hauled my truck into the dealer just under a hundred thousand was a bud hauled his into the Dodge dealer at a hundred and one. It cost him about twenty five hundred for a new fuel lift pump. They told him if he'd brought it in under a hundred thousand it would have been covered by warranty. And cummins has a policy of no breaks on that, one hundred thousand plus, it's yours.

We had the same symptoms, power loss getting progressively worse. Mine is an eleven dollar fuel hose that's collapsing and choking off the fuel under load. I could have had the truck Monday when I put it in the shop if I wanted to pay about six hundred for a new fuel pump assembly that had the hose. But I decided to work off of the wife's SUV for a day or two on a job I've got going and only have to pay for the eleven dollar hose and the overnight charge to get it in.

When I buy my next truck it will be another 5500. I like the ride. I like the low maintenance and great tire wear. I love the transmission and the power of the motor.

But what I really like is weighing close to twenty thousand pounds and hitting the brakes and hearing tire squeal. I've had that happen twice. The difference for me between a medium duty with a legitimate GVW and a one ton really shows up when you're dragging a trailer with a backhoe on it. With the truck you feel like you've got a load. With the one ton, you know it.

Did I mention that I average about eleven miles to the gallon. I know most of the one tons get that and better. But that's weighing fifteen thousand when I'm just going down the road and a lot of the time I'm dragging a trailer or a pallet of concrete.

Default Dodge disel

ford I'll give you is not a bad work truck. Dodge doesn't only have the cummins going for it. Its been know'en for its power train well before the cummins was brought in the picture not only that, its a real strudy work truck
    and as I go around the country I do agree that if its a work truck Its going to be ether a Ford or a Dodge, chev is more for the guy thats going down the
    highway with a trailer. I think that the reason Cummins isn't in a Ford
    is cause the power train wouldn't be able to handle the torque
    Now if Dodge would get off there ass and built a match to the 450 and 550
    then that would be a truck, until that time its like comparing apples to oranges. But its all agreed that the cummins is a **** of a motor for only
    being a 6 cyl. thats just my thoughts.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    ford I'll give you is not a bad work truck. Dodge doesn't only have the cummins going for it. Its been know'en for its power train well before the cummins was brought in the picture not only that, its a real strudy work truck
    and as I go around the country I do agree that if its a work truck Its going to be ether a Ford or a Dodge, chev is more for the guy thats going down the
    highway with a trailer. I think that the reason Cummins isn't in a Ford
    is cause the power train wouldn't be able to handle the torque
    Now if Dodge would get off there ass and built a match to the 450 and 550
    then that would be a truck, until that time its like comparing apples to oranges. But its all agreed that the cummins is a **** of a motor for only
    being a 6 cyl. thats just my thoughts.
    I've heard for years that Dodge is going to build a bigger truck. But I think Mercedes, oops, Daimler Chrysler has probably put a stop to that. They've got their Freightliner line, M2 Business class. And I will admit that before I'd go to a GM6500 I'd sure look hard at the Freightliner. But the thirty thousand difference right now between a comparable equiped 5500 and the smaller Freightliner has me staying with Chevy.

Dodge has improved in my book more than any other brand in the last ten years. I can remember seeing the pads off of the front of middle nineties Cummins equiped three quarter and thinking they were the same size as those on my wife's Le Sabre. Now they have real brakes. The last automatic I drove (2006 model) felt like the old TH 400 in chevies of old. So they still have a ways to go there as I see it.

Ford started the smaller medium duty offerings. I believe GM has taken that to a new level and we're going to see Ford upgrading theirs soon. And Dodge is going to have to do something because the medium duty market is getting bigger all the time. It will be interesting to see if they go the Freightliner rebadged as Dodge like they're done with Mercedes van/ Dodge Sprinter or if they come up with a completely new truck.

If they do to Dodge trucks what they've done to the Freightliners the Dodge guys will find themselves paying extra for the Cummins and the standard will be a Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    I believe GM has taken that to a new level and we're going to see Ford upgrading theirs soon.
    I've driven the C6500 and was very impressed with it over the 2k miles I drove it. I LOVE the Cat C7/Allison 2400 combo (though I admit I have a thing for yellow engines under the hood). I was only getting 1mpg less than I was getting in a C3500 box van hauling about 1/2 the weight. if I had the $$ I'd buy myself one in a 4x4.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

QUOTE=pipeline Dan;67243] I spent almost all winter up there in and around that Two Lakes, Beaver lodge area I think I payed enough money to that
    Days Inn for the winter to build my own hotel. When my time was up at the
    Days Inn I couldn't find a place to bunk I finally found one at Holiday Inn
    that was 300 bucks a night the cute girl behind the desk told me that It was real big and cozy and thats the best she could do even at a contractors rate. I took a camp that was 2hr drive one way to bunk at. /QUOTE]

Yeah, the Two Lakes road and area is hard on vehicles. Fortunately, I never had to venture out that way last winter. Mostly worked north and west of G.P.

The cost and availability of rooms and housing is getting insane up here in "Gouge Prairie". Have heard people say that it will soon be like Fort MacMurray, I hope not.

Were you working a long way out on the Two Lakes road and driving to G.P. everday? Where was the camp that you eventually ended up in? Just curious, that's all. A two hour drive from G.P. is certainly not uncommon but it does suck after a while.

Coalsmoke: Thanks for filling me in on the NSC # and insurance thing now I can understand the guy from B c.'s dilemna even more. . Sounds like a real pain.

As for work trucks...... I was a Ford man until about three years ago. That is when I finally rigged up my own truck after running them for others for way tooo many years. The trucks that I ran were all Fords and all new, the last one being a 550. Ecomomics dictated that I buy an affordable rig and I bought one that was almost new and came with a weird deck and a giant welder. I had always said that I would never own a Chevy or Gm as a work truck but I had to eat my words and I bought an '01 GMC one ton . It has served me well so far and I have no plans on getting rid of it in the near future, at least. Still unsure if I will go with a GM next time though.

Pile Buck
    Well my 550 is 2 Ĺ years old, but I have less than 8,000 miles on it. Only problem Iíve had was keeping the intercooler hose attached to the turbo. This little task was way beyond Fordís ability

if you do a serch here and at the hobart forem you should find a cure for that, i have read about it befor and what was done to fix it but for the life of me i cant remember how or where the aswer lies. sorry but its in here some where.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    if you do a serch here and at the hobart forem you should find a cure for that, i have read about it befor and what was done to fix it but for the life of me i cant remember how or where the aswer lies. sorry but its in here some where.
    LMAO, James that was probably me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default long drive

Were you working a long way out on the Two Lakes road and driving to G.P. everday? Where was the camp that you eventually ended up in? Just curious, that's all. A two hour drive from G.P. is certainly not uncommon but it does suck after a while.

The camp I was In was in the BC side. It was a Berlington Resorces camp.
    It was some where around the 8th km road If that helps. I didn't have one of those radios to tell the people that I was comming around the corner. I would
    not do that again. Those logging trucks would give me the finger, they won't
    move an inch for a guy to get buy. Lots of times I just put her in 4x4 and gaver **** and I did hit the ditch a few times but I just pinned it and always made it back on the road. On that road going out to two lakes in the wee
    hrs was just oilfield truck after oilfield truck, The one spacer was just young
    kid and he was passing a logging truck and an indian come out of the ditch on his atv and the kid caught him with the front end of his truck and killed him. That kid was shook up real bad, there was nothing he could of done.
    There's one strech where you had to get a cat to pull you up the hill cause it was so muddy and if you went off the road they would of never found you.
    Your right It is not uncommon to drive 2 hrs, after doing it all winter and
    being in those tree lines(I live in ranch country) It got to me. when I was driving home I'd get to Westlock where the land opens up again It was like fresh air in my lungs.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go