Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Default Scales loaded.

Hi all this is quite a thread!! From my experience the commercial vehicle laws in B.C are much stricter than in Alberta. In B.C. your vehicle weight is not allowed to be over the posted door sticker weight. There is probably some leeway in this but that is at the officer's discretion. Dawson Creek was one of the most notoriuosly strict scales around and apparently it has been closed because of so many complaints? I always dreaded having to go through it and saw welders, fitters, etc. having to take things off because they were overweight. Went around that scale a few times until a guy I know was caught doing so and had to pay a $300.00 fine.
    Also there is the National Safety code recently implemented across Canada. All commercial vehicles over 4500 kg have to have safety certification, commercial vehicle inspection and a bunch of other crap to cross into another province. Apparently big fines if one goes there without having it. And farmers even have to comply.
    In Alberta, as Coalsmoke pointed out, commercial vehicles over 4500 kg are required to stop at the scales. Last year I blew by the Whitecourt scale and they chased me down. Made me go back and they wrote out some warnings and weighed my truck. This is where the 2 provinces really differ. In Alberta as long as you are under your registered weight they have no problem. My truck was way under the registered weight, but about 1000 lb.s over door sticker weight and that was okay. In B.C. that would not have been a good thing.
    Well that is what I have experienced.

Default truck weights

holly crap boys I didn't know that. Im going to get mine checked out for sure maybe I'll take a look at there website. I know that I checked It out
    on one of those do it yourself weigh stations and I was just under door
    weight by like 70 kgs. when ever I've gone by Whitecourt I have it set on 130
    so I don't have time to stop but now I'll be look'en. So do you think I guy
    should be stop'en next time I go through whitecourt? Are they going to in force these new laws that where just put in place or do you think or are they just doing it so it looks good on paper. To bad about your buddy there
    looks like they did it to make an example out of him. I guess I should watch my regs. I'am bad for leaving them on or should I say that dam helper, that kid is never going to learn. Irwelder are you working right now? cause its dead on my end, looks like its going to start up again around the 15 of oct.
    I was told that its going to be really crazy again this winter and guys that are working right now are up around 135-140

Irwelder are you from High River?
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

There are calls down here in Texas for more inspections and weight checks on commercial vehicles.

I can see where it needs to be done. We have people using half tons and three quarters haul loads that would make a one ton squat. And every time there's an accident involving a commercial vehicle that's overloaded or unsafe to operate the calls for more aggressive enforcement of the existing laws come in.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    Irwelder are you from High River?
    No, I'm from Grande Prairie. I am off work until after Thanksgiving, my choice. It has been an extremely busy summer up here but has slowed considerably in the last couple of weeks. I primarily work on the facility end of things and don't pipeline often. The rates around here vary from company to company 100 - 130 per hour pipeline and facility. Hopefully it will be a busy winter but as usual only time will tell what it will be like. Isn't it quite wet down in your neck of the woods?
    I only learned about the NAtional Safety Code thing a few months ago when I switched my company from a sole prop. to a corporation and had to reregister my truck in my company's name. There is no need to worry about it if you are not planning to go out of province. And then you only need to worry about it if you are over 4500 kg. To run in Alberta no compliance is neccessary if you are under 11000 kg or something like that. Being so close to B.C. it is inevitable that I work there at least a few days a year.
    Coalsmoke, I know a guy from B.C that had a real nightmare with the Dawson Creek scales. They chased him down in town and took him to the scale. He was way overweight and they made him leave his truck there. He had to remove the welder and cut most of his toolboxes off. They let him go but told him he had to get an NSC number because of his weight. I haven't seen him for awhile but last I heard he has been avoiding the scales and hasn't gotten a number. Hopefully he hasn't been caught by them for his sake. Fortuneately, I can make my truck light enough to get a permit there.
    After being chased down by the Vehicle inspection officers I always stop at the Alberta scales now. I don't go onto the scales, just chug slowly by their building and they wave me through....

I always hated going over the scales so I updated and went with the F-550 and have a gvw of 17500Lb.
    I would hate to have to leave tools I need at home.
    a friend of mine bought a 3500 dodge. He was always complaining how he was going through brakes, front end parts, tires, and the last straw was breaking his rear axle housing.
    Buying a truck that is correctly rated for what you need is cheaper in the long run.
    They make the F-550 in 3 different chassis lengths, the tow truck wheel base with 4 Wheel drive will go alot of places.
    My friend that had the dodge now owns one of the big chevys, I think its the 4500, He has had fuel problems, radiator problemd, engine blowby problems, ounce again he went cheap and bought a gas engine and cant keep fuel in it and his bed is chest high making it hard to work off the back.
    So in short I like my F-550 because its still the size of a 1 ton but has big truck features. the only major problems I Had was that the clutch broke a spring on the disc 2 times when it was newer but they must have fixed it because the new clutch has been in it for the last 70,000 miles and I now have 144000 miles on it.

Portable Welder what year 550 do you have? I have 2004 that has 19,500 GVW. But I licensed it for 20,000; according to our state patrol itís all based on tire rating. I forget what my factory tires are rated at, but I think I have another 1,000-pounds or so until my truck is maxed because of tires.

Last year I was at a gas station fueling up, a Dodge 3500 dully, with a pickup box pulls in on the other side of the pump from me to fuel. This truck is load to the gills with hay; I glanced to see how much it was squatting, not at all. I was going to ask the woman how much weight she had on it, but when she stepped out of the cab, one look at her face , and I didnít have the nerve to talk to her, she looked like the beach from ****! So I have no idea how much weight she had, if she had air bags or anything, I was just impressed with the load of hay on that Dodge.

Default we down here?

I thought you were from High River cause I saw a card from there that was
    called I.R. welder. It has been wet down here but I don't know if its been wet enough to hold up the patch. I spent almost all winter up there in and around that Two Lakes, Beaver lodge area I think I payed enough money to that
    Days Inn for the winter to build my own hotel. When my time was up at the
    Days Inn I couldn't find a place to bunk I finally found one at Holiday Inn
    that was 300 bucks a night the cute girl behind the desk told me that It was real big and cozy and thats the best she could do even at a contractors rate. I took a camp that was 2hr drive one way to bunk at. When I left the north I had to redo the whole front end and both drive shafts
    It was covered by dodge but all said and done I still forked out 2500
    That two lakes area is hard on trucks.

Pile Buck I thought that I herd that Dodge has come out with a truck to match the Ford 550 line and they are starting them out in the USA have you herd of that or know of it?
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    I'd love to get into a F550, but I'm dead scared of getting one that keeps dying whenever I'm literally 100miles away from a paved road It would cost me about $2000 just to get it towed in, regardless of whether the repair was warranty or not. Maybe I'll try and find a used 2000-2003 F550 with the 7.3 in it.
    Well my 550 is 2 Ĺ years old, but I have less than 8,000 miles on it. Only problem Iíve had was keeping the intercooler hose attached to the turbo. This little task was way beyond Fordís ability , so I had to take matters into my own hands . I hit 34-pounds of boost all the time and havenít blown the hose off since my little ďpile buck engineeringĒ! I also bought aftermarket hoses, because some of the guys on different truck forums I belong to were blowing holes in the Ford hoses.
    Iím not impressed with this 6.0, but extremely impressed with the truck, she can flat carry a load. It could turn a little sharper if you ask me, but I understand Ford changed that in 2005, just my luck!

Default insurance void

Coalsmoke do you think that they are so sticky cause of the mountains,
    cause Ive seen some small little trucks hauling some big loads up and down those hills. Or do you think Its a money grab for the province. Really its all about saftey when It comes down to it I think.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    Pile Buck I thought that I herd that Dodge has come out with a truck to match the Ford 550 line and they are starting them out in the USA have you herd of that or know of it?
    NO!

But there again just my luck , if Dodge offered a truck like the F-550, I would have been all over it like white on rice!