Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    The point I was making earlier about keeping material on the truck is sometimes you run across something you didn't anticipate, or the customer thinks of something else for you to do while you're there, I pick up a lot of additional work simply because I carry a lot of steel and aluminum with me. BTW, I keep a large inventory of steel here in the yard, it's all outside, it's all rusty to various degrees, my experience is if you show up when you're needed, and you have the right material on hand, nobody worries about a little rust.

Pipeline Dan, any luck on those pictures yet?? We're still waiting on a pipe rig here . . .
    time off so I moved my skid around I'm about 3/4 of the way there
    and I'll be sending them soon. My wife is helping me set it all up
    she says I have to much chrome and that you guys will just laugh
    I guess we'll see.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Default welding rig

I'll be sending them in very soon. I wished I could say I was too busy to send
    them but the patch is very dead right now. I just had some pimple faced kid break in and take stuff.and of course the cop said they were to busy to find the stuff. I guess I'm lucky cause my tool box was unlocked which they could of got away with alot of tools. So if things don't pick up soon then keep your eyes open on e-bay for used welding rig ( Maybe you can hire me for a helper so I can start from sq. one). Oh by the way I now have a bat by
    my bed and a paint ball gun by the door. In Alberta we are rednecks but they still don't allow guns to take out the bad guys.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Default no work

I'm not sure but oil is going down but gas is going up fuel prices are also dropping. I see almost a new truck rigged up driving down the road every day.
    I was told that is going to be even busyer then last winter. I know one thing
    there's nothing funnier then somebody driving down the road with there new
    truck all ready to go to work, only thing is there welder is pointed to passenger side of truck and there tong on drivers side and ground on passengers side. When I spooled up I talked to alot of old guys and why they set up there truck the way they did I even seen a welder show up in a Honda
    pick up and no cables grinder or even a torch he thought that he maybe could use "one of the other welders cables" I **** you not! Anyways I'm not sure why the patch has gone for **** but there is a lot of guy sitting now. As you can see I've been on here for alot of the day.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Well, while we're waiting for a pipe rig here's another option for those who want to do a little portable work without dedicating an expensive truck for that purpose only. Last summer, when I had a little breather, I whipped together this welder skid, a 40" x 48" quarter-inch aluminum diamond plate, has oxygen/acetelyne, welder, fire extinguisher, and a 36" x 18" x 19" Knack box.

You would be amazed what can be fit into a box that size, pictures are pretty self-explanatory, pretty much everything one would need for a simple fab or repair in the field.

I've used it several times now, most recently up in the hills doing some installation and field welding on a handrail job, also a couple times when it was just a quick weld, takes five minutes to load and tie it in the pickup or on the flatbed and you're gone, sometimes it seems overkill bringing the IHC out for some of the simple stuff, and with the cost of fuel nowadays, this is making more sense all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default calweld

That 301g is a great welder that was like the first welder I ever bought. That
    skid looks like it can be put in a truck quick and easy.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

I actually got the idea from something Precisionworks put together a while back, this is a little scaled-down version, but it's perfect for what I want it for. The welder was surplus, didn't need it since I got the Commanders, only has 1200 hours, so a hundred hours or so a year should be good for years to come. Everything else included on it is intended to avoid robbing tools from the big truck, then misplacing or forgetting to return them later, this is completely self-contained so it can go out without thinking about what I need to bring or making sure I replace things later.

Thumbs up

thats a good looking quick fixer there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I'm starting to think PipelineDan has one of those "invisible trucks" like Portable Welder's . . .

JT, how about a picture of your BBQ????

Default welding rig

I knew that if I didn't get a picture in that some one would think that the first thing I'm going to do Sunday is get that picture in
    so then you guy's can take a look. I would have like to have gotten my
    tool boxes done, when I started taken things apart I just couldn't stop
    but at least you wouldn't think I was full of ****. I'd like it if some other
    guys would send in there rigs as well so I'm not on the chopping block.
    What the **** let's make it a day for rig welders to post there pics. I've
    learned alot from looking at other guys rigs. Guys must like looking to cause
    you get alot of views when you post pics of rigs. I'll even leave the dirt on
    so then you will know that it has seen some X- country pipeline work. Maybe
    I'll get the wife to through on her wicked weasel (bikini) to pose I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

oh shore you get the wife in her wicked weasel (bikini) to pose, and you will never get the pic's loaded you and the wife will end up playing all night. been there done that.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES