Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

LOL yep the pic's are the same. well now no one else will have to suffer threw what you did as the answer is here for them. i knew the answer was out there LOL
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

With my new welder (big blue 400)this truck talk is right on time for me.I just went to price out trucks and am kinda leaning towards a 4x4 550, but at $47,000 it is a little scary.I have a line on a 2001 f-650 single cab that has the 7.3 (I think) at around $16,000.How much more are the operating costs for a medium duty truck versus a 1ton?I guess I'm afraid of a big used truck with no warranty.

Default pipe truck

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    A true medium duty like the freightliner or kenworth T300 will be cheaper in parts and service to maintain than any of the big 3 1 ton pick-ups. Fuel will be another 10% more.

I was at the truck expo this past week, and got to see a lot of the new stuff. I was eying up a Sterling class 5/6 with air. The sales guy assures me that he can get it in a 170" wheelbase (probably the tow-truck platform), so, maybe I could rig one of these to fit on a pipeline after all. Wheel see what teh cost is with 4x4 added to the truck, I'm anticipating about $70,000, but have yet to hear back on the finalized info. If its under 70,000 CAD ($58,000USD), it might just be a wise long-term investment. We'll see. Of course, maybe he just didn't know his minimum wheelbase after all.

Iam wondering if even pipeliners will have to look a look at these bigger trucks
    later down the road cause of the dot boys and there friendly ways
    Although I could then have a big screen tv inside and still be under door weight I think I maybe on to something
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Probably be a while before the northern oil patch guys step up to the bigger trucks considering the hassles with roadbans on trucks over 1 ton though. In BC anyways, Alt is probably similar.
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    With my new welder (big blue 400)this truck talk is right on time for me.I just went to price out trucks and am kinda leaning towards a 4x4 550, but at $47,000 it is a little scary.I have a line on a 2001 f-650 single cab that has the 7.3 (I think) at around $16,000.How much more are the operating costs for a medium duty truck versus a 1ton?I guess I'm afraid of a big used truck with no warranty.
    Wow I canít believe theyíve gone up that much ! February 2004 I ordered my 550, out the door $31,000.00 now thatís without 4x4. Eric you need to get on the web and start shopping
    Attached Images Attached Images

man i'm loving that beed dude. great art work on it. too bad its probly coverd up most of the time though.
    i got sereous truck envy now, you all have bigger ones than me.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I dont understand some of you guys talking about having to drive 2 hrs to a motel and paying jacked up prices, Id have me a nice little $ 5,000.00 camper to live in during the job and let another guy or 2 share expences.
    I understand getting it back to the job would be a hassle, just raise the camper with taller shackles.
    Or is their some kind of law in canada that prevents this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    it's all about what you want on it. You can get into a F550 in the low 30 range, but if you want Lariat, extended cab, and 4x4, plus a few other goodies, you're up to the 47K mark.
    In a work truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I dont understand some of you guys talking about having to drive 2 hrs to a motel and paying jacked up prices, Id have me a nice little $ 5,000.00 camper to live in during the job and let another guy or 2 share expences.
    I understand getting it back to the job would be a hassle, just raise the camper with taller shackles.
    Hi Portable welder, there is no law against camping out but when it is 20 below and colder it can be a real hassle. You need to skirt your trailer or camper, water lines freeze, etc. etc. Many guys do camp out from spring until late October and a few do it all winter in campgrounds. However finding a campground that isn't full around here is impossible. Also taking a trailer or camper down some of the bush roads can take a toll on them fast. And many guys do not want the hassle of camping out after working all day, in the winter it is dark when we go to work and dark when we get home.

Pipeline Dan: I recall hearing about the native that was killed on the atv. Too bad and I imagine the poor kid was shaken up badly. I know that road has become way too busy in the past seven to eight years.

Default 5000 trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    More and more guys travel with there camper trailers cause there isn't anywhere to bunk. In the winter time Its a cold pain in the ass, just think
    your out there all day working in sometimes -30 plus a wind which = -45
    and then you have to go back to a trailer you have to make yourself a meal
    clean your clothes tidy up make your lunch and hit the sack with hopes that
    your power source doesn't give out OR you can drive back to a hotel and
    have your clothes washed for you, have a big old prime rib steak (Alberta beef kicks ass)with
    some Jack Daniels a nice hot bath watch a little tv and go to sleep
    only to wake up go buy your lunch and have a XL double double from good
    old Tim Horton's(canadian thing) and while your working have someone clean your room. A camp job, while I could be here all day talking about them.
    I never share my room with my helper unless there's no other way to do it.
    It's hard to say unless you've been there I **** you not. The 2 hr thing you are charging from the time you leave the hotel,and your fuel is payed for but
    trust me its a pain in your cold ass.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go