Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Welding rigs -- Details

There was an excellent thread started last winter by Mr. Hall with pictures of everybody's rigs. We're still waiting for Portable Welder's pictures, I guess nobody's holding their breath.

Now it's time for details -- what do you actually carry on your truck, why you carry what you do, how you organize (or disorganize , as the case may be) to fit your work and clientele? We're all a little bit different, some of us do a little of everything, some of us specialize in certain types of work, some have rigs just to take care of in-house work on their own enterprises. Then we have the pipe welding rigs, which is an entirely different world, with their own specialized tools and layout equipment. We have big trucks, little trucks, and everything in-between represented here, I'd like to see them all, pickups, flatbeds, and utility vehicles. Smaller rigs would be particularly interesting, since with size/weight restrictions you would have to make harder choices, and maybe come up with some unique solutions.

I know everybody's busy right now, but I think it would be very informative and educational, and I'm sure in some cases surprising, to find out what different people carry on their rigs, and how. I'll try to get some detailed pictures posted of my rig and contents this week, it won't be "clean and sanitary", but as it actually is in the middle of a very busy time. I have also finished equipping my "welding skid", I think you will be very surprised how much can be fit on a 40" by 48" space.

I tried everything, have a skid unit on its own little trailer or can be loaded with forklift, I worked from a pickup and it all can be done. I am mostly in house, that could change any minute though but I went to a 2 truck system. I tooled my pickup with exactly what I need to do 98% of it and when I have to I get the heavy service truck. I put an inverter on my pu and with the advent of good battery tools I can usually work my way around a problem. A lot of things on the pu are dual purpose, a 20$ cum-along, a strap and a couple light chains get me by where I have 300# of rigging on the serv truck. I am not ramming around a bunch of junk that ends up doa, I can plan most things. We had a spring break in a field away from home and everyone panic but I find one from the battery box cover on the tractor to fit the machine, problem solved. Fixxed something similar with a bungy cord te other day. I went to look at a customer repair of a broken storm grate they thought would have to be hauled back for repair or portable weld but when I get there I have a bat drill and I drill a hole and bolt it, done deal, right then and there, customer was thrilled and never thought of it. I didnt want to fool with it anyway, he got it taken care of immediately, didnt take an extra trip, didnt even bill the guy as he was the owner of pretty fair electronics shop. Next time thru he fixxes me up with a replacement for an obsolete limit switch in a jiffy and repairs a nice TV for 20$ charge for the part. If you are specialized then its a different story, personally I am generalized and we can do most steel work in the shop, I am beyond generalized all the way back around to specialized and industry specific. Imagine all the trades thrown in a blender thru out the day.
    I have a HIAB crane on a flatbed for moving equipment, a cooler truck on an F350 and a couple good running older pu's a dodge 150 and a couple mini vans, one new one. I am not really one stop, I share most of my time in my PU, actually of late its been my mechanic and I have my own specialized ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really I use one of these too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have a welding rig per se. I work for a steel erector so all my company tools are in our 14' enclosed tool trailer. in that trailer we keep the torches, rigging, saws, drills, screw guns, etc, etc. for lifting heavy things we've always got our Caterpillar TH63 on site. my bobcat 225 NT is either in the back of my pickup or in our shop when we're not in primary/secondary framing mode, unless we need power. not really much to see really, just an old chevy pickup with a welder in the back.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

what do you actually carry on your truck, why you carry what you do
    List everything?

I recently upgraded from an F-250 460 to a Ram 3500 Cummins, though kept the Ford for hauling.

I'm once again redoing the storage and organization, and it keeps getting better. This week, I'm putting on the ladder rack and moving the big Knaack to the side and putting the Trailblazer across the back behind the window. I'll put some high side boxes on it and keep a short ladder in the back just for getting into the bed to access the Knaack.

I took out the rear seat (too bad it doesn't have back doors, though) and am building some sort of shelving system for all the power tools. I just looked through a DeWalt catalog and was actually surprised when I saw that I have every 18V tool they make except for the drywall gun. So that takes a lot of room to keep organized. Plus all the corded tools, most of which are in the Knaack but I want in the cab instead. The Knaack needs to stay just big stuff that doesn't tangle, like the Maxstar package and the Passport, plus big socket sets and come-alongs, etc. I'll know more when I finally get the side boxes this week.

One critical thing is tackle boxes, or similar. I have dozens. One is nothing but self-drilling screws of every size, another is wire nuts, another is wagos (push-in wire nuts). Another is just gold wood screws. Another is just #6 and #8 screws, another for #10-24 and #10-32 screws. Likewise for 1/4"-20 hardware, 3/8", 1/2", and then others for the stuff I don't use as often.

Having two trades makes for an organization-critical truck. Electrical and welding complement each other often, expecially with the power tools, but it also means a lot of special tools for each trade. That's when I'm always fighting the temptation to take something off the truck temporarily while I'm on certain types of work and then invariably needing something that I left at home because I forgot to put it back.

Quote Originally Posted by J hall
    List everything?
    Whatever you think is unique or important to what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by calweld
    There was an excellent thread started last winter by Mr. Hall with pictures of everybody's rigs. We're still waiting for Portable Welder's pictures, I guess nobody's holding their breath.

I hate too do this but i call bull sh$% on portables rig there is no rig thats why there is no photos
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld
    I hate too do this but i call bull sh$% on portables rig there is no rig thats why there is no photos
    You'd think he'd just take a picture of just anybody's rig, or post a picture of a rig in a truck sales magazine, claiming it as his, just to get everybody off his back.

I think he just doesn't want to make us feel bad by showing us his classy rig.
    We should appreciate his concern for our fragile self esteem.