Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muratic Acid

Default Muratic Acid

I'm finally getting around to using what I bought last week. My question to those who have used it. I've read the MSDS sheet for it and was wondering, What's your guys process for using it?

I've got a 5 gal container with lid. I put in about a quarter of a gal of distilled water and about a half gallon of the muriatic acid in this container. Then I put a couple of coupons that had some rust and mill scale on them in there and in about 3 minutes they were clean as a whistle

Is it good enough to put those coupons in a gallon of fresh water and then pull them out to dry and then weld them?

Mike

Default Muriatic

You just put metal in an acid. You have to nutralize the acid before you do anything. Put them in a tub of baking soda and water. Remember your basic chemistry,(acids and bases). This should make the coupons ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMax Racing View Post
    You just put metal in an acid. You have to nutralize the acid before you do anything. Put them in a tub of baking soda and water. Remember your basic chemistry,(acids and bases). This should make the coupons ok.
    I wished I could remember some of that basic chemistry that was a few years back Thanks sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by CoMax Racing View Post
    Thanks CoMax that baking soda and water thing worked really well. Here is a picture of some that I just did

What are you using to handle the parts?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    What are you using to handle the parts?
    I bought a pair of gloves that's made to handle muratic acid. They were like $7 or something like that.

Let me see if i got this right..dip in acid for about three minutes..then dip in baking soda solution then rinsce with water?
    Thanks, farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

will that stuff take off paint ?

Quote Originally Posted by fyoung View Post
    Let me see if i got this right..dip in acid for about three minutes..then dip in baking soda solution then rinsce with water?
    Thanks, farris
    Yep works great there farris

Quote Originally Posted by Blown S-10 View Post
    will that stuff take off paint ?
    I'm not sure but as quick as it took off the rust and that wasn't even full strength! I would say it would. I have more coupons to do today so I'll try it