Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey rwfabworks,
    I run a 7.5kw(8.75kw surge) on my mobile unit that powers all my equipment. All my welders are inverter & draw a max of 24A & the TD plasma cutter draws the most at 33A max. I added several receptacles for the plug variations I have. All my equipment runs very nicely as an output test on the gen indicated I have very smooth AC output with minimal fluxuation. I would strongly suggest you get the 7kw as a minimum you indicated in your first post. Here's a pic of my setup.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey rwfabworks,
    I run a 7.5kw(8.75kw surge) on my mobile unit that powers all my equipment. All my welders are inverter & draw a max of 24A & the TD plasma cutter draws the most at 33A max. I added several receptacles for the plug variations I have. All my equipment runs very nicely as an output test on the gen indicated I have very smooth AC output with minimal fluxuation. I would strongly suggest you get the 7kw as a minimum you indicated in your first post. Here's a pic of my setup.

Denny
    Do you have any other pics of your gererator???

Is it any different than the gens they sell at HomeDepot orLowes????

Hey rw,
    That's the only pic of the gen I have. It looks as most others do. I had several other forum members wanting to see the additional receptacles & voltmeter I added. If you do go to HD or Lowes, simply look at the specs & insure that the output ratings of the 220V receptacle are 30A as some are only 20A, even with a higher wattage rating. Also, make sure the "running" wattage is at least 7kw & not the "surge" wattage. Mine also has elec. start, although not a necessity. My gen is also a brushless unit & I believe that is what provides a smoother output. Hope this helps.

Denny

Default Will my old century 180 work on a coleman 5000W generator??

Will my old century 180 work on a coleman 5000W generator?? My mig is nothing fancy and when you talk about my mig failing or getting fried due to voltage spikes I wonder if I need to find a generator with specific features. So instead of wasting $600 on a canadian tire coleman 5000W (6250 Surge?) what type of generator with the needed features for safe mig welding should I be looking for?