Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cronatron

Default Cronatron

Has anyone use or is familar with Cronatron Welding Systems? Would you buy from them again. We had a couple of sails reps demo some products for us yesterday. I took a picture of the weld they did and I'm not impressed with their products. They didn't seem to know how to use them ie "weld" I thought they were just using an under powered welder at first until the asked me run a bead vertical down. It wasn't perfect but it was atleast something I'd trust. Take a look I am interested if the products they had are worth buying. Didn't price anything I didn't want to sound too interested and get their hopes up.

Here's the pic of his weld.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i notice the slag is still on it........i'd probably leave it like that......hate to see what's under it.....lol

marty
    Miller Synchrowave 250
    OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
    Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
    Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
    Home of the Stephensburg weld

They make rods mostly suited to maintenance and tool cribs in factories. Similar rods are made by Certanium, Eutectic, UTP, and Weld Mold. Alot of the rods are Ni or SS based for welding on cast and dissimilar metals. My dad was in skilled trades at what used to be a local GM plant and has some experiance using Certanium SMAW rods. Lots of info on the Hobart board, mostly flaming by people who havent heard about them or don't know why someone would use these types of rods.

Clean off the weld and post another picture please, I would love to see whats under all that slag!

Bruce

Lots of info on the Hobart board, mostly flaming by people who havent heard about them or don't know why someone would use these types of rods.
    I think that the problem was with the salesman, not the product, although they do sell some stuff that is just too expensive for what it actually is.(and so do the other specialty companies)
    Some of these guys want people to believe that a lack of skill or proper equipment can be solved by a magic electrode...........
    Jeff

They make some good stuff IF (that's a big IF) you are in an industry where you occasionally need to weld dissimilar and sometimes unknown stuff. Sometimes a $10+ electrode is way worth it. "Cronotron Rep" got a bad rep off the bat at the Hobart Site, but then he actually started giving us real information and participating more.

I can't speak for his experience or any of their salesman, but I always think that if they could do it well, they'd be making a lot more money doing it rather than selling the stuff that can do it. OBVIOUSLY, there are going to be exceptions. He may be one of them. Looks like your rep isn't...

Here's the pic of his weld.
    Wow!!! Whatever he does, tell him not to quit his day job

-------------------------------------------------------------

Similar rods are made by Certanium, Eutectic, UTP, and Weld Mold.
    Most specialty rod companies make a number of rods that don't conform to any written standard. WELCO SUPER MISSILEWELD WELDING WIRE surely has the neatest name in the whole world. Imagine how impressed your customer has to be when he chokes as you hand him your bill -- until you tell him you used SUPER MISSLEWELD. According to the manufacturer, this wire's composition does not meet any known standard: http://www.jwharris.com/images/pdf/3-smw.pdf

There must be something about planets, the Space Program, etc. Why else would Rockmount/Nassau have Apollo, Gemini, Jupiter, Neptune, Polaris & Venus among their product listings? I know one welder whose company buys the Jupiter TIG filler for cast iron ... cost is 300% more than any other Nickel 99 that you can buy: http://www.weldit.com/product1.html In real dollars, that means a pound that costs $50 from most anywhere will cost $150 from Rockmount

IMHO, Cronatron is a far different company than the others mentioned (except Certanium, which Cronatron purchased in 2001). They strive to be the McMaster-Carr of everything related to welding & MRO. As their web page says, "Cronatron Welding Systems, Inc. distributes over 4,000 products including welding and brazing products for joining, buildup and surfacing, powder spray products and equipment, industrial polymers, metal removal and finishing tools and a complete line of shop supplies. These products are used for the repair and maintenance of capital equipment of all types in the industrial, heavy-duty equipment, in-plant, buildings and grounds maintenance and transportation fields." According to parent company Lawson Products, they maintain an inventory of more than 135,000 SKUs, and have an additional 800,000 SKUs readily available, which would make it the Wal-Mart of Welding http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...esentation.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------

If it's important to buy all your supplies from one company, this is the place, as long as price isn't a concern
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

I use JW Harris tig rods and actually like them a lot. They're all stamped er70-s6 though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on J W Harris, UTP, or any other brand. Some of their products are nonconforming to any standard, others (like the ER70-S6) are premium quality products that do meet standards.

One of my favorite specialty SMAW rods is Messer MG600, used primarily for broken bolt removal. IIRC, it also does not conform to any standard, but it does jobs that only a few other rods will do (Super MissileWeld being one of the others ).
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot