Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Easier answer to that offroad dilemma

I drive a small 4WD into Nevada's outback with a box full of coyote catch dogs, and so I've ruined tires in some desolate places. I carry two spares 'cause pumping up a ripped or cactus poked tire doesn't get one very far, and yet i know pumping up a tire could be the most convenient thing to do at a given time for the option of later changing the tire,...but I wouldn't carry the extra weight of a tank. I carry a small 12v pump. A spark plug hose is another option.

Once had a PVC 6'" end cap blow off while pressure testing at 70 p.s.i., it was very loud and painfull as I recal. that was plastic, yor talking steel at 120 p.s.i. ...... might want to consider the 30 doller one at pep boys, or the used truck air tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
    oh and hey skid steer steve .. how do u become a pressure vessel welder if you don't try it. .. no offence or anything.
    non taken, but compressed gases is one of those areas that can get you into a lot of trouble real quick. Just like electricity, it usually doesn't say excuse me. There's a reason air and hydralics are used on so much industrial equipment...it packs a big punch in a small package. Of course, I'm a business owner and have to deal with long term liability of projects so I'm very quick to lean toward the coservative side of issues. Also, there can be manufacture liabilities to items that can come back to haunt you years from now. Just something to keep in mind.

Glad it worked. Keep on tinkering, but always keep safety, whether in the shop on in the design a primary goal. SSS

I vote for Dwain's solution, easy and simple. practical.

Jerry

where im from if u weld a vessel and u arent b cert. you can lose your ticket and if some one gets hurt or killed ur looking at jail time. so dont even think about welding pressure vessels if u arent certified to do so. its just plain responsibility on your part to hold up to the codes and standards of your area. if you want to test for your b phone your local boiler branch and schedule a test its the smart way to do things dont just start welding on vessels unless u are certified but hey is your a** dont mean to say u cant weld or any thing just stating what the laws are up here no offense.

Might want to add a releif valve of some sort,since you already built one,in the heat of the day the pressure will increse.

what type of relief valve?... like the one to drain the water?.. or just a pull pin one?.. i'm not quite shure i know what your talkin about. I need to know tho if you say the pressure will increse.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

One of the pull pin type should work fine. Also you might check out some of the farm supply stores in your area as they usually stock different size air tanks that may work in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
    kay .. guys i did it and it worked . i used sch40 pipe with a 5'' id and ressesed the caps in the pipe and it works fine i've got it up to 200psi and no problems . oh and hey skid steer steve .. how do u become a pressure vessel welder if you don't try it. .. no offence or anything.
    Buy getting your welds tested and certified before pressurizing. Also when doing a hydrostatic test you always fill the vessel completely with water befroe testing. All pressure vessels are tested at 2.5 times their maximun operating pressure buy law.

I didn't notice how you capped the ends but I am hoping you got proper welded caps so the ends would be convexed. I have done welding on some pressure vessels but they are never around where people are and I would never build a pressure tank for a vehicle even if it is an off road only vehicle due to the fact that if you were in an accident and the tank failed, and this could be no fault of the welds at this point but due to the fact that it isn't certified and it hurt someone because of the tank failure,, well just say major law suit. I know of someone this happened to and he lost his house over it. As I understand US and Can both require all pressure vessels including air tanks to be certified and have a tag confiming this on the vessel.

If you were building a tank to expand you air capacity for your shop and can have the tank back out off the way or in another room, and you are a good welder I would say go for it but to have the tank in close proximity of people and even out on the open road, no way.
    Last edited by jamlit; 02-01-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

actually ABSA states that it is only 1.5 times the working pressure but hey if it holds at 2.5 all the power to ya.