Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Similar problem, new Passport

Hi everyone, been reading here for months, finally got my welder a few days back thanks to the suggestions and writeups here. Overall so far I'm very, very happy with the Passport. Unfortunately, today something went wrong, very similar to the first post in this thread.

The welder is running 110V on a 20A circuit, internal CO2, .030 wire, everything is stock outta the box--stock grounding wire and clamp, M10 gun, .030 tip, clean nozzle, fresh wire, feed spool is in the correct position and threaded correctly, bottle is secure etc...I've run less than five feet of wire through it since it arrived last week.

Yesterday it was laying perfect beads. This is one of the nicest setups on 110V I've seen/used. At the end of the day, I coiled up the cords, put them in the bag--been doing this since I got it, leaving everything coiled loose with plenty of slack so it doesnt twist the connection for the gun--and came back to it today. I've not disconnected anything, just coiled everything up loose and stuck it in the bag.

The metal I was working on yesterday and today had been ground clean and rinsed with acetone.

When I struck an arc today, there was a pause instead of instant arc, it was intermittent and sputtering, no penetration despite being set at 7, and shortly after I started it burned back and I had to r&r the tip. It looked like a weld with no shielding gas, but the bottle is almost full, and the regulator shows 500#.

After cleaning the nozzle and tip, I tried again. This time, less spatter, but extremely inconsistent arc...I could feel the wire feeding against the work occasionally, pushing the gun away, then contact and it would burn back and drop part of the wire on the work. I moved the ground clamp to a spot I knew was clean and close, tried again, similar results.

Finally I opened the box and dry fired (is there a term for this?) the gun, just fed some line through, or so I thought. I didn't notice this before, or maybe it's something to do with the higher heat setting, or maybe it's messed up...but the feed roller turns slow for maybe half a second, then feeds at the rate I'm used to seeing. HOWEVER...there's no feed. The wire isn't moving, and when it does, it's very intermittent and I can feel the gun and cable sort of jump when it feeds, like it's overcoming resistance somewhere downstream of the feed roller. It reminded me of dragging fingers across a balloon, same grab/slip thing but without all the sqeaking .

So...I crank the tensioner (it was at 2.5, I maxed it out) and try again. Same thing happens, no feed. I straighten the cable entirely and it feeds a little better, but it's still jumpy and intermittent tho it fed fine yesterday even when it wasn't laying out straight. The tensioner is back at 2.5 BTW...I put it back when I realized it wasn't the problem.

Next I turn everything off, open the tensioner, grab a pair of pliers and gently pull on the wire at the gun end. Theoretically there should be no drag on the wire, but gentle didn't work--it took quite a bit of force to pull wire through--even tho when I originally ran the wire I was able to do it almost entirely by hand. When the trigger is pulled, the reel isn't sticking, and the drive rollers are turning (except for being slow for the first fraction of a second...I wasn't watching for this when I fed the wire the first time, it might be totally normal), but they aren't able to feed the wire through the cable and gun, the driver roller just slips.

What happened? Gremlins? Muddauber nests? I haven't taken the gun & cable apart yet but I will as soon as I can get back to this, probably Monday. Like I said at the beginning, this is a new outta the box welder, the cable wasn't attached to the box until a couple days ago and I've been extremely careful with it (not cheap--I'm not gonna abuse it), but just a guess it almost seems like the cable is somehow perforated somewhere, cutting/blocking/diverting the gas, making an intermittent connection, siezing the wire etc.

Does this diagnosis sound correct? What would be the first thing you'd check, and how? I was just gonna take apart the entire gun & cable but some advice from you guys would be great...what would you do? What might have caused this to happen? How can I prevent it from happening again?

I'll give the local Miller rep a call, theyre just down the street and good guys, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it and if you had any advice since I'd like to identify and if possible fix the problem myself.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

lramberson Guest

Default Gun Liner...

First, Welcome D67.
    The Passport is a very remarkable unit that is pretty tough to boot the way it is packaged.

My first recommendation is to call Gary or Kevin @ (920)831-4898 - they will get you straight ASAP.

It sounds pretty simple to me that you have a bad liner or some obstruction in the gun lead..
    I personally don't care for the provided M10 gun and will be replacing mine very soon with a Bernard Q 150 Taper Tip. There have been a issue or two with the M10, and I am fortunate I am not there yet.

...but the feed roller turns slow for maybe half a second, then feeds at the rate I'm used to seeing.
    This is normal and the way the unit is engineered to initiate arc start. Gary or Kevin are the engineers so I am not gonna go there. they have the technical reasons for this, I just know it is normal...

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by lramberson View Post
    First, Welcome D67.
    The Passport is a very remarkable unit that is pretty tough to boot the way it is packaged.

My first recommendation is to call Gary or Kevin @ (920)831-4898 - they will get you straight ASAP.

It sounds pretty simple to me that you have a bad liner or some obstruction in the gun lead..
    I personally don't care for the provided M10 gun and will be replacing mine very soon with a Bernard Q 150 Taper Tip. There have been a issue or two with the M10, and I am fortunate I am not there yet.

This is normal and the way the unit is engineered to initiate arc start. Gary or Kevin are the engineers so I am not gonna go there. they have the technical reasons for this, I just know it is normal...

Good luck,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the contact information .

Frankly I'm really impressed with the whole package, just bummed that there's a problem in the gun or cable. It's got a great arc, and it's so easy to move around--no dragging wheels over a ratty garage floor, easy to huck in the bed of the rig and go, I've only had it a week and already I'm happier than if I'd got the DVI like I was originally thinking.

I wondered about the slow feed at first...I could think of reasons why it would be better that way, but wasn't sure. Good to know it's normal .

I'll give those guys a call...

Thanks again,
    Sean

lramberson Guest

Glad you joined the Forum and post up some pics.
    There is a pretty good group of Members and I for one like seeing the final product.

On a second note the Passport really shines on C25 also. The last job She was throw into literally was a barge office fit up. The Company would not allow any cameras, so photos were out but it definitely was interesting.
    The Passport or Little Blue as the Deck Hands called it was a topic of a few after hours meetings.
    The initial impression from the crew was laughter and negative under the breath behind the back kid stuff.
    Then when the EMT area went in and the 3/8 bunk racks were fitted up the lips shut quick.
    Miller struck a note with 2 of the shop fabricators and I had to keep a sharp eye on Little Blue. Yes I did let the boys do a demo when they showed up with there lids and were interested.

She ran hard for the course of the job and blew them away when I unhooked the C25 and pulled a plug from a 302G and fixed the Supervisors truck rack.(yes you can say suck up) with no gas (it was magic) Them boys never seen a welder with a hair spray bottle....

Keep us up on what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by lramberson View Post
    Glad you joined the Forum and post up some pics.
    There is a pretty good group of Members and I for one like seeing the final product.

Them boys never seen a welder with a hair spray bottle....

Keep us up on what happens...
    Definately...I'll get a few in-progress pics and pic of a few practice welds.

I picked up a backup canister at Sports Authority, they even gave me a free fill...it's strange, I want to stick a paintball gun in that canvas bag along with the gloves and cabling .

I talked to Kevin, he was really helpful, I'm going to take it apart tonight if I get a chance and check out the guts of the gun and cable...I'll post up what I find, and a couple pics of what I'm working on . There were some great ideas and pics in the project forums, my g/f looked them over as well and went out yesterday and got herself goggles and a respirator...said she even found a welding forum just for girls. She's a keeper ...of course now I may be wrangling for time on my own rig .

-Sean

might be overlooking a simple fix but did you check to see if the wire would wind off the spool esily ? i had the same problem with my MM135, also the M-10 gun and found my spool of wire had been wond wrong causing it to cross feed of the spool. LWS told me its not that uncommen and they said try pulling off about 20ft to see if it clears up. it didnt and they replaceds the role and all was good after that.
    might be werth a check if you have not already tryed it, just cut the wire befor the drive rools and see how it feeds off the spool.
    good luck.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Matter of fact that's where I was headed next.

Last night I cut the wire right behind the cable, took the cable off and dragged the wire out through the gun. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that bad either. Since I had just over 10' of loose wire, I pulled the nozzle and tip and backfed the wire...no problem. Did the same thing from the proper end, and the only place it hung was right at the curve of the gun...no troubles. I did find a kink in the wire, that only prevented easy transfer through the tip tho...not through the liner.

I also pulled the clamp, zip tie and tape to inspect the cabling. Nothing appears to be wrong, if it is it's upstream from where I peeled back the liner. My guess now is the gun is fine.

Now I'm looking funny at the box...I'll check the wire...what I'm gonna do is reset to the voltage and feed I was using before, and the same thickness, and see if it works just to eliminate a few variables. If it does work, then I'm probably just stupid...

But I will check the roll, the feed issue has nothing to do with my setup .

When you say crossed up, do you mean the wire you're pulling is wrapped under the rest of the spool like a clove hitch or just that it's wrapped messy?

a little of both but the big problem comes from being under the next layer and trying to pull from the inside of the role insted of the top, where its been wraped over its self. if you have kinks in the wire odds are good you got a bad role. if you can get another role to try out it would be werth it even if you just grabbed a small 2# role of flux from walmart being as its saterday i dont know if your LWS is open or not. but if its a bad role they should replace it no problems, well mine did any way.
    its prity simple check and could have you up and going in no time insted of chasing non-existant problems with the welder due to a wire problem.
    good luck i hope its just a bad role and you can be up and going again in no time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

LWS is a five minute walk from the day job . I'll check the roll first...any reason not to unwrap a bit and then respool it myself? Sounds like the bad roll youre talking about would have been wrapped too tight at the end of the roll, or too loose early in the roll, is that right? So some of the outer layers are laying under previous rolls, even thought they're not crossed up like a twisted slinky.

thats about what happens i think. as for rewinding it your self i supose you could do about 20 or 30ft. just to see if it works ok with a beter wind but i dont think i would want to do the hole role. better to swop it out for a new one and get back to welding.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES