Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Phase converters

Has anyone used a phase converter to run a three phase machine off of single phase 230V? I just found out about phase converters today, and I am wondering if they work for high amp draw applications such as welders, and also if they offer the same benifits as using regular 3 phase over single phase.

Jonny

Just make sure you get one that is rated for the draw you are going to be putting on it. I would recommend oversizing a bit if you are putting inductive loads on them to make sure you have enough starting power. When I used to work in the printing industry we ran a few medium size machines in one of the smaller press rooms on a motor style phase generator 2 shifts a day. They were fairly high demand machines with electro-hydraulic systems and other motor demands. We never had any major problems. Just the usual wear and tear stuff. I have some friends that have some mills/lathes that they run on them simply because they don't have 3phase, or it is not economically prudent to bring it in when they only need it a few times a week. The one thing to keep in mind when using them it that you have to remember to turn them on before you turn your machine on.

Hope that helps. I don't have any specific technical data for you, but I've used them a lot.

SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 01-25-2007 at 01:35 PM.

i run my cosen industrial bandsaw useing a phase converter.. it works Great!
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Thanks for the info guys. I'm helping a friend with his decision on buying a converter to run his equipment. Mostly welding machines and machining tools and such.

Jonny
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000