Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Ebay Unit

Default Cheap Ebay Unit

Hey Guys,

What ist he deal with these cheap units offered on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-Amps-Plasma-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

Bryan

...or one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-Amps-Inverte...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

Bryan

Here's my simple take on it.....you get what you pay for. The price of a product is based on two things. 1) the quality of the product and 2) the quality of the company. If you want a cheaper price, which one (or both) do you want to cut? They're pretty now, but what will be left in 1000hrs (or less)?? Probably just a boat anchor. SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 01-18-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Default Cheap Junk

STICK WITH THE BLUE, FOR $1100 YOU CAN ALMOST HAVE A NAME BRAND MACHINE THAT WILL STAND BEHIND THE MACHINE,I AGREE WITH SSS, QUALITY OR JUNK?
    ;
    /22x45 concrete slab with 2 overhead cranes(trolley style with electric hoist, huge shade tree to weld under
    33x33 enclosed shop when its to cold or windy outside
    miller 210
    miller 875 plasma
    victor oxy/accet
    unihydro 45ton ironworker
    miller 180 tig
    ole lincoln ac/dc buzzbox
    milwaukee power tools
    and everything in between
    2007 trailblazer 302
    Bailiegh 210 miter saw-2008
    Beer Fridge
    6000# cat forklift
    36" port-a-cool fan
    Dake G-75 Belt grinder
    3035 Spoolgun

i agree you pay for what u get. even though those units might work good for a hobby welder i wouldnt pack it up in my truck and head to a job.

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    i agree you pay for what u get. even though those units might work good for a hobby welder i wouldnt pack it up in my truck and head to a job.
    Hey, I resemble that remark.
    I'm a hobby weldor and new one at that.
    Would I own one of those units?
    NOT A SHOT
    I'd rather pay more and get more ... SUPPORT ... that is.

Miller earned my business the hard way ... with Support BEFORE I even owned a welder.

Default More info

If you look closely, you have to go back to those guys for all of your consumables. You can't just run down to the LWS and get them. Also, if it breaks there is no fixing it. Throw it away and go buy another one. They all tout warranties. But (a very big but) what do you have to do? send it back to China and wait for a replacement? Send it back to China and HOPE for a replacement? Who knows? There are lots of deals out there. Just go find one on a reliable piece of equipment that is backed up by a reliable company.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Ditto....watch out for scams also on ebay. If you see a welder for an unbelieveably low price, the sellers info might have been stolen and you will send money to someone who has no intentions of sending you anything. One last thing. Look at the specs, most of the time you're just getting a lot less than it sounds like. Keep looking, though! You just might find that desperate seller!
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

Cool

I have the dual voltage version coming here Thursday (CT416D).
    I put myself through school building alot of very custom car parts.
    Put a pointometer in a set of junk game pedals, $10 get's you a remote pedal for one.
    If it works through one project, it pays for itself outirght.
    AFA consumeables. They use the exact asme consumeables everything else uses. Having played with afew others & known several people with the varrying Chinese tig/plasma units. Quality varries...
    I'll open the case & post some pics when I get it.

For a jobsite. Buy something else. For the house. Why would I in particular want to spend $1,400 for a Maxstar® 150 STH, and Spectrum® 375 Base Model $ 1,395.00. $689 bought me the ability to do the same thing. The compressor I have, but add $300 for a regulator/dryer and a compressor.
    I tig T304 schedule-10, and cut 3/8" mild at home. I don't need $3,000 in equipment to accomplish that.

You'll have to check the other forums to see how the things work. One of the bigger dealers is on hobart's forum.

Never buy a Chinese gmaw. They have moving parts. As far as a plasma / tig. Once you get passed the few that are literally held together with bailing wire. Electronics are electronics. Capacitors, wire soldier, the inverters... I don't care who assembles it. All the components, regardless of who builds them, come from India, Thiland, or China. Period. What's it gunna do. Unsoldier itself?

You do get exactly what you pay for.
    The big question is what do you need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    All the components, regardless of who builds them, come from India, Thiland, or China. Period. What's it gunna do. Unsoldier itself?

You do get exactly what you pay for.
    The big question is what do you need to do?
    Unsolder itself? Well that COULD happen. I have seen soldered components come undone. A compter that failed miserably " Coleco ADAM " comes to mind.

As for differences in components. well after working for a few years as a Component Test Engineer forWestinghouse Defense and JHU/APL, I can tell you they are not " all the same ". Value variation tolerance levels can differ between component manufacturers, not to mention equipment makers ( i.e. Miller, Lincoln, Chinese etc. ) can spec different tolerance levels for components. A 2% resistors costs more than a 5,10, or 20% resistor. In the end it all adds up.

You are right, you get what you pay for ... what do you need to do?

I may not use my equipment daily, so it can sit idle for long periods of time. What I need is some level of confidence that t will work when I want it to and if it does not, that I have some reliable customer support mechanism available.