Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding Grade 5 Or 8 Bolts

Can You Stick Weld Either A Grade 5 Or Grade 8 Bolt At The Head To Something Without Losing The "hardness/temper"?

I Asked This On The Hobart Forum But Differently.

One Suggestion Is To Use Cold Roll Rod, Thread It, Then I Guess I Can Harden It With Harris's Flame Hardening Compound.

I Am Having To WELD A New Thread Onto Forklift Anchor Eyes Which Attach To The Roller Chains Which In Turn Do The Lifting.

Clark Lift Wants $300 Each For These 8" Threaded Anchor Bolts And That Is No Joke. Can't Find Them Anywhere.

Any Help, Much Appreciated!!

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN1
    Can You Stick Weld Either A Grade 5 Or Grade 8 Bolt At The Head To Something Without Losing The "hardness/temper"?
    No.

Clark Lift Wants $300 Each For These 8" Threaded Anchor Bolts And That Is No Joke. Can't Find Them Anywhere
    Can you fabricate some without welding?

No, Because The Head I Am Trying To Weld To Is For The Roller Chain.

Thanks

welding hardened bolts is a no no, i plug welded some grade 8 1/2" bolts to mount a vise to a bench. when i went to tighten them i barely got them tight and they pulled right out breaking flush with the welded part.

making forklift parts is a big risk they take alot of stress, i would machine it if possible out of something better than 1018
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I know $300 seems a lot but what will a trip to ER or worse cost? I'm all for saving money but this doesn't seem like the one to do it on. God lick whatever you decide.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

you could machine the part out of annealed 4140 or simmilar and have it heat treated..hmmm May be cheaper to spend the 300 on a guaranteed part.
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

lramberson Guest

Liability is the reason for the 300 bucks and they know you have to go to them to get it

Hardened bolts are welded all the time, they actually weld very well. Bolts are not carbon hard, they are low carbon low alloy, very similar to welding rods. Is there any heat treating to a grade 5 bolt or is it the material its made of?

Sberry, I believe the higher grade bolts are of a better alloy. If they were hardened plain carbon steel they would be breaking like carbon taps

Welding something hardened/heat-treated like drill bits is best dun with silver-brazing. Silver has a very high tensile strength just as long as it doesn't get hot while in service. The low melting point doesn't affect the hardness very much. If you do try welding something heat-treated you will have a small area around the weld where the hardness has been screwed up.

Do you have a pic of the job???

I guess my question is,,, is there any heat treat to a grade 5 bolt?