Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

aluminum can be a pain thats no dought, its almost like the 2 pices are opiset magnets. as it heats up to puddle they repell each other rather than runnig togather like steel dose.
    dont know if it will help but i found that just as it reaches the melt point and starts to repell hit it with some filler and it will join, dont try to wait it out for them to join into one puddle all by them selves, its just not going to happen also a fresh hit with the SS wire brush just befor you start goes a long way to a good start. lots of waisted scraps ahead for ya but hang in ther you will get it in time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Aluminum TIG

If you're ever in the Killeen area stop by the Central Texas College hangars at Skylark airport. We have the same Dialarc 250HF with a cooler and I've got some scrap aluminum. We'll weld a couple beads!
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

Quote Originally Posted by MNellis View Post
    The welder is a Dialarc 250 HF but I haven't run it real hard at this poin. I tried my first shot at AL this evening and made a real mess of some scrap but at least the cooler worked well. I have to weld an aluminum bracket but there is no way I can actually produce something acceptable at this point.
    thats the same tig I have and instead of a coil mine goes into a 5-10 gallon fluid holding tank that cools the fluid down has been working great for some 15year on my used machine. Ed ke6bnl

Talking

Those dialarc HF 250's are nice machines. I havent ran TIG on them yet but I have a **** of a lot of time on them with stick. They definitly take a beating thats for sure. Has the contactor on it had any problems though? I had problems on the two that I ran, one contactor had to be replaced and the other was prety iffy. Other than that they were exelent machines

bump.....

would the cooling coil out of an air conditioner work too?

I used a new transmission oil cooler purchased from Advance Auto Parts and 2
    muffin fans, with a Procon pump and a 2 gallon stainless reservoir from a
    carbonator. I run a 50/50 distilled water and RV antifreeze mix in it and it's going on 2 years now, with no problems so far. My welder is a white face DialArc HF and I do a lot of aluminum with it, so I tend to run it at the higher currents a lot.

You should not run higher than about 60 psi or you will have line rupture
    problems. Mine is set for 50 psi.

Here is the link (with pictures)

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...p/t-18880.html.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

I have tons of components to build a nice TIG cooler - Procon pump w/motor, heat exchanger, 8" muffin fan, S/S Reservoir, nice flow gauge, flow switch, temperature and pressure gauges, fittings, LOTS of relays, timers and electrical supplies.

The original plan was to build a cooler for my Dynasty 200. I ended up buying a new Dynasty 350 with the cart and CoolMate unit. My cooler would have been better, but Miller's works fine.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the stuff let me know. I probably have $600-800 of cooler components sitting in the corner of the shop.

That's a bit expensive for a DIY cooler. My cooler only cost me about $200 out of
    pocket. Of course, I don't have flow indicators, but I can watch the flow through the clear tubing.

The Carbonator was $100 and I used the 2 gal stainless tank as well as the motor
    and pump. The oil cooler coil was about $40 from Advance Auto. The galv sheet
    metal, hose, and the pipe fittings from Lowes amounted to about $50. I already had
    the muffin fans. A gallon of RV antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water completed
    the purchases.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
    That's a bit expensive for a DIY cooler. My cooler only cost me about $200 out of
    pocket. Of course, I don't have flow indicators, but I can watch the flow through the clear tubing.
    My plans called for the pump to be activated only when the pedal is depressed, and I have an adjustable time delay relay that would keep the pump running for a minute or so after the pedal is released.

I have a temperature switch to control the fan, so it only comes on when the coolant starts to get hot. Also controlled by a time delay relay.

A beeper alarm was going to be wired into the pressure and flow switch, to alert me in case there was a blockage or some issue with the pump.

I have lighted gauges for the front panel to indicate coolant temperature and pressure, in addition to the flow meter.

And the list goes on... This was NOT going to be your typical home-built cooler with a Tupperware tank and short sections of garden hose connecting everything.