Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Farm Gate Latch

Default Farm Gate Latch

I made a quick latch for one of the farm gates so it could be opened from either side. Heated some round and made it into a loop for a handle. The spring is stainless. I cut a slot in some 1 flat and used a roll pin so the handle would always open straight and not spin. I bent a piece of 3/16 flat stock to the curve of the post with a slot in it for the pin to catch in. As long as the gate is not slammed hard it catches from either direction.

Twocentsworth
    Attached Images Attached Images

good looking gate latch, whats thet furry thing in the back ground????
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

good looking gate latch, whats thet furry thing in the back ground????
    Thank You.

LLama.

Nice design, looks very functional. Keep up the great work.
    Peace,

nice latch. i made 1 like that for my moms yard gate but with a t handle. i gota change it though because at 81 its to hard for her to open. works good for me though.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

SoCal, most advanced third world country.

Thumbs up Good job!

Nice work. That's a good design idea. Did you have to bevel both sides of the draw-bolt to get it to latch easy? Did you make the gates too?
    Scott

houlibar,

Thanks for taking the time to look closely at the latch. Yes, both sides had to be beveled and a bit rounded.
    I did not make these so called heavy duty gates. However, I am in the process of making a 12 footer now. I bought some new but rusty 20 foot lengths of 2 inch steel water pipe, about .155 wall, for my local scrape dealer for $ .10 per lb. In the picture, back left is part of the bundle of pipe. I sand blasted about six lengths and bent the outside one to shape. I just have to cut the cross pieces to length with a tubing notcher and weld it up. Only problem I see is this thing is going to be very heavy. I will have to sink a telephone pole to hang it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just add a wheel to the opening end to carry the load, TSC caries a bolt on version that even has a shock built in for uneven ground. cant remember how much they are but with a quick look at one I'm shore you could build your own from there design or something similar. its purity standard on the heavier gates to ride on wheels.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks. That's a good idea. I was just cutting some of the cross pieces and decided to weigh things. Looks like this twelve foot gate will come in at somewhere around 230 lbs. The ground does fall off where this gate would be going so that shock idea may work out. I will have to check on them to see about fabbing something up.
    The maximum length of these hole saws seem to be 1 7/8" which is really a pain to cut the tubing with. Even with a straight cut, the joint jigger has to be loosened and the tube flipped over and hope to realign everything for the second cut.