Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weld color

Default Weld color

When i am tig welding mild steel, the finished bead is a dull blue color. I have seen welds done by others that have a shiny kind of rainbow color and generaly better apperance. This appears to be a heat issue. I can achieve this when welding 4130, but I ceartin the welds done by others are mild steel. Any input?

Default Weld Color

The different colors you are talking about are different heat ranges of the metal. The temperature difference between the blue you are getting and the rainbow color (eg purples,oranges etc) is only about 30-40 deg f. To attempt to hit a specific color when welding steel is pretty hard. If you want to try I would say, try to put a little less heat in the weld. Blue is about 570 deg f, where orange is around 530 deg f and purple is about in the middle. Personally, if your welds are sound and have good fill with no undercut, don't worry about the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Reliance
    When i am tig welding mild steel, the finished bead is a dull blue color. I have seen welds done by others that have a shiny kind of rainbow color and generaly better apperance. This appears to be a heat issue. I can achieve this when welding 4130, but I ceartin the welds done by others are mild steel. Any input?
    It sounds like a travel speed/gas coverage issue. Maybe a little faster on your travel speed. Do you have adequate post-flow? Can you post your settings?
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

I am using a#8 cup, 25cfh. 2% 3/32" tungsten and welding .125" tube, machine set at 130 amps, 10 sec post flow. I am using a fingertip control.