Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik
    What do you guy's think about this?
    I think, just like in any organizational structure, that he is responsible to his management for the quantity and quality of the output from his shop. Likewise, and to that end, you are responsible to him for the quantity and quality of your individual work.

I have served under any number of supervisors/managers/superiors who were neither qualified nor capable of performing the specific tasks required of me. That's why I was there - to perform those tasks. It was his responsibility to provide me with any needed support in the effort, but it was my responsibility to perform those tasks to the best of my ablility. And, if I failed to reliably perform in the quantity and quality required, for whatever reason, it was his responsibily to correct the problem, up to and including replacing me with someone who could and would.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Cool

Hey guy's thanks for your input I called CWB on friday The office in surrey
    anyway I talked to one of there inspectors and I quote if anythings happens to a weld that I do I am partly responsable you are right, Now when one of my welds fail and kill somebody the supervisor bears the brunt of what ever happens just because I pass a weld test when I go to weld something maybe that day I have a fusion problem or something and something did happen the supervisor where's it cwb will be going after that person with the title. I also did a little more checking with the place that I work for because the manager did ask me to run the shop I called head office
    your not going to beleave this there is no insurance to cover that person in case something did ever happen the company will pay for all damages and what ever eles happens however it does not stop YOU (your family because remember now your dead)from suing this person for wrongfull death because this person is not a qualified welder nor is this person a qualified inspector anyway the company will not fight on your behalf sorry your on your own now.

So not only can your family sue my azz off but dont for get about CWB and there law suit aganst YOU as well.

Hey guy's I'm not scared of responsibilty and NO I'm not trying to take anybody's job or position but for what ever reason I would like to know that who I work for they will help me out when sh!t happens because as welders we all know all to well that sh!t happens even to the best of us. This senario happened with some transportation company here in BC the company did not cover the supervisor.NOTE: It's good to do some checking before taking a position on. Now on my first thread think about this is it worth $0.50 cents more an hour? o ya I did agree with every thing you people are saying but if it states it in the supervisors hand book(the little blue one) and in the red seal books that you get from CWB then well.I'm not a closed minded person all you people make PERFECT sence I think or did. If I had a scaner attached to this thing I would scan the pages but if you people want me type breifly what is said in my books well I guess I have to.

The reason why I say people,person is because I dont know if there are any female welders on this form and not all females like to be called a guy.

Darmik

Like Tom, I've had supervisors who couldn't spell my job description, much less do it.

That's just how it is.
    If your supervisor can't weld, he shouldn't be welding on the job or telling you how to do it either. That's normal.

As a supervisor, he probably doesn't have to weld.
    As stated before, he's more nearly a manager and is responsible for getting you the support, parts, equip. you need to do your job,,,,,,,,
    then be sure you're left alone and not hasseled so you can do it.

Personally, I always liked that arrangement.
    That way, when given a job or task, I could do it the way I saw fit,
    and not be constantly 2nd guessed by supervisors or managers.
    In reality, as they were ultimately responsible for my work----
    we both knew that thier fate was in my hands more so than mine in thiers.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Cool

Now a days it is HE or She To add to what I had said earlier I'm not trying to jusitify me not having responsability to myself for what I do He!! no and I would back my supervisor in what ever happens because I'm doing the work; However the dark side of things are I worked way to hard to lose what I have today. How it works today I get my jobs and then left alone the odd time i get bugged can you just fix this up abit not a problem leave it with me.
    I would say about 90% of the time I'm left a lone I just LOVE it and yes I do the best I can with what I have to work with our machines are and I'm guessing here older then most people on this web site.very old Hobart stuff
    3 phase hey winger ED I agree
    I looked through all my pictures just now to show you just how old but no luck I can take some on monday though. O ya I'm trying to get these people to hire a c or b level with at least 1 year fitting experience must know how to read a measuring tape. Start at welder level 2 gets $23.52 or $24.52 I forget

Darmik

Responsability of a supervisor I think depends on where you work for instance. I am a supervisor and don't have the first ticket havent been to anykind of welding school. but I can weld as I started at the bottom where I work and finally made it to where I am at now.
    Last edited by Admin; 01-29-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: deleted section referring to a deleted post