Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

chris,

thought I had posted this already... ??? brain fade

this is a 250 mounted on single axle with mounts for bottles
    a 'jobox' welder box will be on the front.
    still got to rig with tail lights, work lights and fire extr.

axle is a rear from a Mercury Villager van... think it's actually a Toyota axle that merc specs... added helper coils but not for weight... the leaf springs were a little too 'springy'.. the coils cut down on the bounce when traveling...

hope it helps
    john
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jniolon; 12-05-2005 at 07:31 PM.

John;

Thanx for the information and pics. That gives me some better ideas than what I originally had.

Chris
    Chris Snyder

Default welding trailer

Chris, I think I have finally figured out how to attach pics. I have a bobcat 225, it also wieghs about 560lbs. The single axle does not have any trouble hauling the machine and all the other things I have on it. The trailer frame is built out of 4" channel with 3/16" plate for the floor. For the boxes, I had a sheet of 1/8" plate sheered & broke into L-shaped pieces. I used the floor of the trailer for the bottom of the boxes. I made the lead/ext rack the way I did to prevent shaking. I cut holes in the floor to recess the bottles 4". Let me know if you have any questions.
    Good Luck, Jason
    Last edited by meadweld; 12-05-2005 at 10:15 PM.

just make a skid for yer truck
    drops in in 5 minutes
    cant see much, but thats the beauty
    tanks hidden
    cables rolled up
    tools locked up
    past welding instructor
    CWI
    business owner

Quote Originally Posted by snyder253
    John;

Thanx for the information and pics. That gives me some better ideas than what I originally had.

Chris

chris,

I've got some rough dimensions if you're interested

j

[QUOTE=jniolon]chris,

I've got some rough dimensions if you're interested

j[/QUOT

Yes I will take any advice that I can get. By all means, send them when you have a chance.

Thanx
    Chris Snyder

Default sketch

there u go

Thanx John for the measurments, I plan to use that as a starting point, with some minor changes, for racks and toolboxes, etc. Hopefully after the first of the year I will be able to post some pics. of my new trailer and machine.

Once again Thanx
    Chris Snyder

Here's a pic of the welding trailer I'm in the process of rigging out. I had the 5 x 8 trailer built. I welded up the stand for the Trailblazer and since the picture was taken I've added reels for the leads and chains for the tailgate. I need to add bottle racks. I raised the welder up so I could load pipe or supplies and not hit it. Any suggestions for additions are appreciated.

Just a side note...keep in mind where you're gonna be goin' with your trailer and the environment it'll encounter. No sense in doin' all that work only to watch your new trailer bouncin' around in the rearview because of cheapo tires that just self-destructed. Leave the passenger car tires on the car, invest in some good trialer tires. Mount a spare somewhere on that puppy too!

Is the wheelbase long enough? Yep, you've seen those guys flyin' past ya on the freeway with their little HF trailers at 95mph about to lose it huh?

Watch your mounting points for bottles etc. Don't skimp on bracket thickness or one pass with a wirefeed. Everything might seem dandy when it's sittin' there in the shop and you're buddies will vote you cool-dude-of-the-month BUT ya need to anticipate real-time conditions such as bumpy roads, ruts in the field...you get the idea. Things can get un-funny real quick in an auto accident too. Will those bottles stay there in a somewhat hard fender bender? Can't depend on gravity for everything LOL!

Don't mean to be a neysayer, just tryin' to keep a few points out front. Maybe a someone would like to start a "safety thread"?

'bird
    Last edited by tbird; 12-09-2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spellin'