Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tbird

Thanx for the info. I would rather go stronger now, rather than find out the hard way.
    Chris Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by snyder253
    Tbird

Thanx for the info. I would rather go stronger now, rather than find out the hard way.
    Again, not tryin' to be a horse's youknowhat but you'd laff at some of the things I see come through our shop. BBQ pits are a popular (duh, we ARE in Texas LOL!) and lots of times they're wantin' to build 'em out've 18ga. to keep it "cheap". Lately, because RITA decided to rearrange Beaumont we've had TONS of repairs to do on the tree/debris trucks that came from around the country to help clean up her mess. Some of these fellas just want "a tack" to hold somethin' back together and then ya gotta explain how it really should be done. Works well and when the customer sees the results and you point out the benefits they're glad they listened. Now if we can just convince them to quit buyin' those $15 jacks from HF to hold up their $20,000 trailer...

Guess what I'm sayin' is ya need to put yourself into "structural engineer" mode every now and then and think ahead. Also, keep an eye open for just the right spot to add in that "gotcha factor". Did you see the TEXAS TAILIGHTS on the trailer that meadweld built? Veeeeeery neat! His trailer has some "weight" to it also, bet it pulls like a dream.

'bird

ps- If you know someone that came down here to Texas to help us, we sure are grateful for their efforts!

Default trailer

Chris I built this 8x6 service trailer with a torsion axle. It works awesome and it pulls nice and straight. The wheel wells I made of 1/4 inch plate so I can use it as a small work surface. I have a vise installed on one side. It has a torch rack, Bobcat 250 welder, air compressor, and a tool box. The air compressor is a little small for air tools but it works for now. I'm planing on a bigger compresor and I'll put another tool box either in front or on the other one for air tools. I use it on my farm and down the road a few miles. Make sure its strong and have every thing bolted down good. It gets rough in the ruts. I hope this gives you some good ideas. Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lee,

Thank You for the photos and advice. Looks really cold, its still nice and warm down in Texas.

Chris
    Chris Snyder

Snyder253,
    Far as I know, single axle can carry up to 3,000 lbs. That's what it is here in Hawaii, and have seen other people mention that on this forum. Also, friend that used to build trailers, used the same tires he had on his truck, so spare could be used for his truck or his trailer....
    my 2 cents....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

i dont know what the trailer restrictions are in your area but here the width restriction is 8' 6''. you may as well put the 2 sets of brakes on it in case you put more waight on it, just my suggestion..
    nice looking trailers by the way guys
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

wes40 Guest

Default welding trailer

Quote Originally Posted by snyder253 View Post
    OK;
    I am wanting to build a trailer that will carry a Bobcat 250. I am wanting to go with tandem axles for ease of backing it up as well as weight. I am looking at it being no more than 14 feet long and 7" 10" wide. I have some ideas in my head, however I am not sure where I should mount my Bobcat due to weight. I was thinking, towards the rear of the axles in the center. But I am not sure if that is the correct location. If you have any advice, please send it to me as I how never done a project like this, or if you have any advice in general as to ideas or problems you have come across while building a trailer please send them to me. Lastly if you would like to share a pictures with me it would be helpful.

Thank You
    Chris, i own my own welding shop in Blanco,Tx {830-833-9600**I build welding trailers for sale and custom ones on the side. I can send you pictures of one i have recently built if you are interested in it. It is tandem axle,headache rack, bumper, steps, will hold 2 oxygen and 2 acytlene. Wesley Elrod

stfleming Guest

Default welding trailer

Chris,
    I would recommend that the first thing You do is take the time to carefully plan out Your needs and wants. Then layout the equipment (or areas) with the weights that You are dealing with. Rule of thumb You want ~10% tongue weight when you are done for a pull type trailer. Not enough tongue weight will make for a squirrelly trailer (especially on a down hill grade when trying to slow down). The tandem axle won't make it easier to back up and with the weights I see posted I see no reason for it. Tandem does tend to be a little easier to balance the load but, you should have no problem getting an axle that has all the capacity that you need for a trailer this small.(if you needed a trailer with a fairly large capacity and are using a fairly small small tow vehicle that can't handle the tongue weight, but has the towing capacity this might be a consideration) If you plan to put a caster type screw jack on the front so You can manually push the trailer around I would strongly recommend using just 1 axle. What kind of tow vehicle is another consideration that might come into question here also.
    In the past I have done 2 things that have worked well for me are
    1. fab the top deck of the trailer and then set the machinery / equipment on the deck, then using a pipe or jacks find my load center and move the balance point to the rear to give me the desired tongue weight.
    2. set the deck as I did above but mount the axle suspension up so I can slide it forward or rear to get my tongue weight. This is really nice if / when my needs change and I end hauling more than I originally planned for or not the same place on the trailer that I originally thought would be best. (it would also be a benefit if I lessened the load but, that never seams to happen for me)
    Good luck
    Steve Fleming

Dudes.......this thread is ancient....I would think the trailer was done long ago

weldtek221 Guest

Default axle to use

HI CHRIS,
    YOU CAN USE A 3500 LB AXLE NO PROBLEM.THATS WHAT I USE ON ALL MY STANDARD UTILITY TRAILERS......ALSO KEEP THE WELDER ABOUT CENTER OF THE AXLE IF POSSIBLE YOU DON,T WANT TO MUCH TONGUE WEIGHT AND IF YOU GET IT TO FAR BACK ON THE TRAILER IT WILL WANT TO SWAY SOME GOIN DOWN THE ROAD.......I,VE BUILT ALOT OF TRAILERS AND THATS WHAT I FIND WORKS BEST...ANYMORE QUESTIONS YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT PROTOMAN224@AOL.COM THANKS REX