Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tig pen

$1150 is kinda steep for a machine that spools out wire. I might buy a really cheap/used/broken 110v mig welder and disable it so that all it does is feed wire.

Could be a fun little project
    Ben Fox
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
    Millermatic 130
    MillerMatic 252
    Jet Lathe
    Jet Mill
    Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

heck you could buy a brand new MM135 for less the $1200 they want for that thing. it was realy kind of a jock suggestion, i didnt realy think he would be looking for something like that i just ran acrost it will looking to see if they caried the tig pen, and what there return policy on it would be as it sounds like he is the ideal person for a tig pen as he has truble feeding the filler threw his hand and the pen has a roller for that. i supose if ya had the $$$ and were doing productin the $1200 would be justifiable, like ya said though it would have to be the same thing repeatedly in order to not spend more time ajusting the speed than actualy welding. it dose seem like an allfull lot of cash for basicly a MIG feeder with no welding power. i supose there is more to it than meets the eye witch could contribute to the high $$$.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

OK Ill give the tig-pen a try and report back when I have put it to use.
    I weld a lot of ĺĒ 035 and 049 chromoly tubing and typically use 035 rod so the rod goes quick.
    As far as the more automated wire feeders I think itís a little overkill for my application, as I need to reposition often, 3 inches is probably the longer of the runs I might need to do at a time.
    I think the muscle action needed to advance the rod through the pen might make placement difficult at the puddle? Guess Ill find out.
    Ordered it today so give me a few days to report.

Default tig-pen review

Tig-pen
    I got the tig-pen recently and have used It for around 4 hours of welding. I really like it.
    Itís made of metal although it appeared to be plastic from the pictures I have seen.
    Quality seems good and better than I expected. It feeds rod smoothly with minimal effort.

In application
    First thing that I noticed was full-length rod are easier to control, I usually will cut rods in half.
    Placement of rod into the weld pool was good, but the amount of rod feed takes a little getting used to, itís easy to over add with larger rods.
    On thinner rods where they get consumed faster I found it does what I wanted it for, as I donít need to stop the weld process to re-grip the rod.
    With more time I think will be a must have item for me. If not already.
    Pliers
    Screwdriver
    Hammer

Default congrats

glad to here it worked out for ya. you may in time out grow it as you get better or as ya said it may become a naceseti. eather way it sounds like it was well werth the $$$.
    i knida figured from your post you would be one of the ones that it helps. its not for every one, but its a big help for some.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES