Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cast iron rod ?

Default cast iron rod ?

Hey all, I was given about 10lbs of 1/8" rod in a tube marked cast. the markings on the rod are XYRON 2-24. I did a goggle and found it is a eutectic cast rod but couldn't get any particulars on it. Question is has anyone used this rod that can tell anything about it? You know the usual, junk, garbage, good, real easy to use, amps, ac/dc, pre-heat, post-heat, user friendly. At the price of cast rod i'd hate to waste this experimenting if you folks can educate me on it. Thanks in advance.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

I have not used that particular rod for cast Iron I've always used Ni99. But I can tell you for certain cast Iron is a bear, it wants to recrack and preheat is normal for quality work and post heat to slow the return to room temp is an absolute must. I don't use any real fancy oven or anything I use a propane or acetlylene torch and tempil sticks to achieve temps desired. I wish I had some of my old pics I did a great job on an old cast iron potbelly stove. The job took along time due to the amount of material to preheat and maintain at temperature, but 3 years later my friend is still heating with it.

If you try this stuff give us a review of what you think of it, always looking for new product information, helps me help others.

Peace,

Jim,
    It is a cast electrode. here is their site. http://www.lnteutecticwelding.com/default1.asp?lnt=5

Thanks for the come back Paul and J. the site you showed me J wouldn't give me info on the rod. i was hopping to get the compond makeup of the rod so i know what i'll be working with, but in order to find anything out on that site i had to register with them, which i did. now i just have to wait for there administrator to aprove me to be able to access any more info. (guess i need top secret clearance) thanks again guys.
    miller 225 bobcat
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    trash the b#####d

Cast Iron is some funny stuff so get some scrap exhaust manifolds to practice on first, believe me it helps with this junk.
    Peace,

Quote Originally Posted by jbmprods
    i had to register with them, which i did. now i just have to wait for there administrator to aprove me to be able to access any more info. (guess i need top secret clearance) thanks again guys.
    I found it odd that they would want you to register just to look around, so I didn't. You will probably get a visit from a friendly rep
    Jeff

Morning Paul. I used to watch my Brother weld cast and he made it look so easy. (everything else for that matter) After 20yrs as a navy welder with every cert they had including nuke subs he was like an artist to watch. i hadn't welded a great amount since i got out of the navy 30 yrs ago, but since his death 2 yrs ago in a motorcycle wreck iv'e had to do all the welding on our farm here. most of his equipment i sold for his wife and some i bought from her. so i'm having to relearn all i forgot and alot i never took the time to let him teach me. when i find the time i want to learn to use the tig unit on the aead200le that was his. i'm still trying to fgr out what all this rod is that i got from him and try my hand at it. there must be several hundred pounds of it. But with the great help you all here have been i think theres hope for this old fool yet
    miller 225 bobcat
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    trash the b#####d

Quote Originally Posted by J hall
    I found it odd that they would want you to register just to look around, so I didn't. You will probably get a visit from a friendly rep
    Jeff
    morning J i thought it strange to. i don't normaly indulge in most sites marketing scams but after the searching i did with no results had fgrd oh well do it and suffer thru the emails, for have we got a deal for you like i said in my last post i have so many different types of rod and most is sealed so i really hate to not know what it is or how to use it. i guess i'm kinda of liking getting back into this sado-mas. (can't spell it) thingy they call welding. just yesterday i did what i'm sure alot won't admit to did some hurryup welding and had a glove on my left hand and set the stinger down turned back around, being right handed picked up the hot piece. well needless to say it flew accross the shop. it sure didn't take me long to check its temp.
    miller 225 bobcat
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    trash the b#####d

I had a favorite pair of gloves that fit and were comfortable. Also worn out.
    The one had a hole in it and it seemed like the hole was in the right spot to burn me about three times a day. But being fussy, and living in bargain mart country, it took me about a month to finally toss them Now I order three at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by J hall
    I had a favorite pair of gloves that fit and were comfortable. Also worn out.
    The one had a hole in it and it seemed like the hole was in the right spot to burn me about three times a day. But being fussy, and living in bargain mart country, it took me about a month to finally toss them Now I order three at a time.
    I hope thats 3 pairs j. thats like when i was trucking. i broke my foot and couldn't wear a boot on my right foot. everyone kept asking me what happened. well after the millionth time of telling the story i got tired of it and started telling people i was so poor that i wore one boot at a time so i could make a pair last longer.
    miller 225 bobcat
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    trash the b#####d