Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Is TIG Necessary?

Do you already have a TIG-rig you plan to incorporate into a work truck? If not, I'd suggest you putting that at the bottom of your list, which could save you between $2000 and $4000 in startup costs. There is one exception to that rule that I've found, but I already had a PrecisionTIG185 when I started my own mobile business, and that is the mobile marine aluminum repair business...going to different marinas and working on pontoon sponsons, t-tops, engine mounts, jon boats, etc. In most/many cases, a small MIG machine or a spoolgun will work fine, but there are occasions where the marinas want a new/repair weld to match an existing weld, which could be a TIG bead as opposed to MIG.

If you don't already own an AC capable (probably) inverter machine, then I'd suggest sticking with worrying about longer leads for your generator-welder, loading up on a wide variety of sizes/compositions on your Arc rods, and several thicknesses and compositions of wire spools. If you think you may encounter some mobile pipe welding out there (I have a contract with an agriculture-irrigation company for some of their field-work) then buy yourself a stinger-rig setup for DCEN lift-arc and a couple of semi-transparent welding curtains you can setup in a hurry in the field to block the wind. I carry one (stinger rig) for just that reason, even though I could use the PT185 with the hand amptrol or foot pedal.

Don't forget about your field cutting capabilities....think of a small O/A rig or even take the money you might've spent on a nice TIG machine and divert it to a plasma cutter (although an O/A rig is still a necessity for thicker materials). You mentioned "various and assorted tools" in your signature, so I'm not sure if you've got a nice chop saw and at least two 4.5" grinders, but I've found all three to be helpful (so I can keep a grinding disk on one and switch the other back and forth between a cutting disk and a flapper disk).

If there's any way you can slide money aside from your regular job to purchase all of your tools and bottles and hoses over the course of 3 to 6 months, then you should be able to take out a single $5000 or less loan on your signature to purchase a Trailblazer, Bobcat, etc. Short-term loans have worked well for me...90 day payoffs that I can pay the interest on plus 50% of the capital and then slide the rest another 90 days...that way I haven't depleted all of my earnings in the first 90 days of operation to pay for the loan. Lower interest rates that way too. I've done this twice over the past 15 months and it's worked very well for me.

I hope some of this has made sense to you and maybe gives you some thoughts in different, more-self-sufficient directions.

~Clint

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Default Maybe

I'm not sure about where your are money wise, but the credit card companies sometimes send out special offers with blank checks most of the time with low intrest, better than banks. You may call one like Chase, they send out offers sometimes as low as 3.5%. Just a thought!

The only thing I'd caution with that is to read the fine print very carefully! A lot of times those low (3.5%, 4.5%) rates will only be introductory rates and, after 6 or 8 months, will return to more-normal rates of 12.9% - 13.5% (and sometimes closer to 17.99%!!!!). Chase isn't usually like that, but some companies are. Besides, you're going to need a business bank account that's separate from your personal account anyway, right........? Just my 2.5 cents (and I am NOT any sort of guru when it comes to banking!!!

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Default Just my .02

Ewingsteel,
    I took a entrepeneurship course 'bout a year ago, and 1 piece of information I'll always remember, is they HIGHLY suggest you don't advertise in the phonebook (at least the yellow pages). You tell a potential customre that, and you give all your competition a possible job also! LOTS of good tips here, most of all, professional business cards, flyers, etc. Good luck! We're rootin' for ya
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Ewingsteel,
    I took a entrepeneurship course 'bout a year ago, and 1 piece of information I'll always remember, is they HIGHLY suggest you don't advertise in the phonebook (at least the yellow pages). You tell a potential customre that, and you give all your competition a possible job also! LOTS of good tips here, most of all, professional business cards, flyers, etc. Good luck! We're rootin' for ya
    bert
    Bert,
    I would think whether or not to advertise in the yellow pages could/would depend on how many other welders there are in or around your location, right? I mean, if there's only three of you in town, then who cares....you're going to be sending business back and forth between the three of you depending on who's got the current contracts etc etc etc. If there's 50 of y'all in a town of 15,000 people, that'd be a different story. There are only two of "us" in my small town of 10,000 people and we both do various amounts of advertising with varying degrees of success. We constantly send business back and forth to one another...his shop is bigger than mine and he inherited quite a few metalworking tools (like different presses, lathes, work-positioners, jigs, etc) from his predecessor, so if someone comes to me with a project that requires a bunch of that sort of stuff, I go ahead and send them to "the other guy" in town (who, by the way, is a phenominally good weldor!!). In almost all cases, if the other guy gets a call from someone who needs mobile work, like a tractor broken in the middle of a big field, he gives them my name and number. Just my 2.5 cents on the yellow pages/advertising issue.
    ~Clint

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

stuff around here speards more by word then any thing

Inferno Forge

Chris

Clint,
    you hit it on the nose! I live on the most populated island of Hawaii, so competition is fierce! Your situation is excellent, helping each other out is awsome!
    good tip
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time