Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been real happy with my Maxstar. It has done everything I needed done, until I came on the need to weld aluminum.

This board, and Ask Andy, have been very helpful.

OK guys, I've been doing some homework....

WRT the Maxstar, how beneficial is the HF/pulse start on the STH models... Would this be missed on the STH.

Secondly, what do you guys think about the econotig, versus the Maxstar. Seems like the econotig has more power, ac/dc for aluminum, and a few more bells and whistles...

I guess the way I see it is there are STH and STL's for sale used in the 800-1000 range, new for 1600 with extras. I can buy a econotig for 1500 with shipping and extras.

That said, which way would you go?

Thanks,

Bryan

I had an Econotig in a previous life (ex-wife stole it). It has HF, but no pulse, uses 220v, and weighs around 175 lbs.

if you can come up with the power to run the econotig i would save a lil longer and get the syncrowave 200 or a used 180.
    the econotig is only 10 more amps on DC and starts at 30 amps on the low end,
    the maxstar will go down to 5 amps as will the syncro200 the syncro also going up to 200amps in AC & DC

most of the econotig guys say they are good for lerning then move up to the 180 or 200 now if not larger.
    the maxstar is going to give you the ability to plug in anywhere. witch is a big + the econotig will require a 55amp 220V circuit same as the syncro200 so if you have that kind of power to offer a welder go with the syncrowavemuch more offerd there. if you dont have a shop wired up with some serious power you will be better off sticking to the inverters like the maxstar. the best i could do in my shop was a 30amp 220V circuit so i was forced to go inverter and even it dimms the lights in the house when i hit the peddel.
    so take a close look at the power you can provide, also how important portability is. the maxstar you can throw in the back seat and take it over to your frends house to help him build his brewry and you know you will be able to plug it in when you get there. most likely this is not going to be the case with the syncro or econotig.

as for how important is the HF and pulse option, verry. you want to go with them especilay if light gage SS is in the picture. many that start with the STL end up selling to move up to the STH. HF alown is werth it. it will make lerning much easyer and is all i use on mine, i just have not gotten the hang of lift arc starts, keep having problems with it so i just stick to HF much easyer starts i think.

so lets start over
    how much power do you have to offer??
    how important is portability ??
    do you meed AC ??
    do you intend to keep the welder or plan on upgrading later if you like TIG welding??
    how far do you think you can strech your budjet??

i still think you should jump on the 150 offerd up for sale here on the forem, but lets see your answers to the above and we can take it from there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    so lets start over
    how much power do you have to offer??
    how important is portability ??
    do you meed AC ??
    do you intend to keep the welder or plan on upgrading later if you like TIG welding??
    how far do you think you can strech your budjet??
    1. I've got a 220/40 breaker installed for an old hot-tub which is no longer in use.
    2. Prtability is not essential, but a nice option.
    3. I don't plan to weld aluminum.
    4. Keep it for a while, and then upgrade in the future if the power is on the weak side...

I am still a little worried about the 11gauge ss... Will the Maxstar run out of muscle?

The 150 here is the STL, not the STH. Given I have very little knowledge with TIG, the easier the earning curve the better. This is why I think the 150STH may be a better way to go versus the 150STL abbove...

Maybe I should just wait out to find a good used 150STH?

Thoughts?

BK
    Last edited by bkloos; 01-14-2007 at 10:54 AM.

i think the STH would be a better option but you can always upgrade the power suply later and use the same controles on the sth as the stl. if you have the $$ get a sth if not the stl will get the job done. yes the 150 has plenty of power for 11gage
    i would say look on e-bay for a sth if you want to start out with the extra goodies but eather one will do what you need to do and will keep a good resail value. with only 40 amps to offer the econotig might fall a lil short and if an extention cord is needed it will be even worse. look for a maxstar you will be happyer with it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Sounds like we are making progress....

So, now let ma ask a general question.

How hard is it to learn to tig weld. Assuming I am smart, capable of seeking out knowledge (either from others or the web), and willing to practice, is it reasonable to think that I can learn to weld with enough proficiency to get a project like this finished in my near lifetime?

Thanks,

Bryan

i would say if you can get some one that knows how to TIG weld to give you about 20 minuits to show you what it looks like and are willing to put in the time its verry reasonable to expect you to be able to do this and many more projects. SS is the easyest to lern and your project is also a simple one, so go for it.
    ask the local WS to see if some one there can show you or check with local fab shops. maybee ofer up a few $$'s for a guick looksie. getting it to hold is prety easy on SS getting it to look prety is what takes time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES