Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exhaust Fans for Welding Room

Iím in the final planning stages for my new shop and how I want the welding room set up. Two things I want are an overhead beam for lifting and some exhaust fans. Iíve got the builder all set on the overhead beam, but havenít figured out the exhaust fans.

I could go to the local farm supply and buy some basic exhaust fans with built in, self closing louvers. Those would be good for basic exhaust of welding smoke and general ventilation (Iím in Texas where it gets a little HOT).

But I keep thinking some explosion proof fans would be cool as Iím sure Iíll end up painting in there at some point. I would have to arrange some type of pre-filter to prevent the buildup of overspray and some intake filters. My main problem is I canít find a good source for them. Everywhere I look, they are gosh awful expensive.

I keep looking on ebay, but Iíll need two of them and finding a pair is difficult on ebay. Anyone know a good source for quality paint booth fans at a decent price?

Gary,

Any fan driven with a TEFC motor should be fine for the welding application. If spray painting is going to be a part of your business, I'd definitely install a spray booth. Paint solvent, thinner, and overspray vapors won't mix well in a welding environment. Be safe, not sorry!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

some thing to keep in mind if you are going to paint in there is the over spray goes every where i paint in mine and even with the exost fan running i need to cover every thing with drop cloths to keep paint off it, and thats just with spray can paint
    i got my exost fan from TSC its just a round fan in a tube no louvers and built into the wall with a door on the out side to close it in the cold when not in use.

you can see the fan in the left side of the pic, it works realy good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

My new shop will have a dedicated welding room of 25'x38'. Roll the welders out of the room, close the door and paint. I'm not painting cars for a living, so I don't need a real paint booth. Just some explosion proof fans and lights. I guess I need to contact some paint booth manufacturers and see if I can get the fans and lights from them because other than Graingers, I can't seem to find any sources and certainly not any discount ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hankj
    Gary,

Any fan driven with a TEFC motor should be fine for the welding application. If spray painting is going to be a part of your business, I'd definitely install a spray booth. Paint solvent, thinner, and overspray vapors won't mix well in a welding environment. Be safe, not sorry!

Hank
    Painting & welding in the same room isn't a good idea, totally incompatible!
    find somewhere else to do your painting!
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
    1971 Roughneck 1e
    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
    Optrel Satellite OSE
    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
    O/A Set
    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frank865
    Painting & welding in the same room isn't a good idea, totally incompatible!
    find somewhere else to do your painting!
    I don't understand why it would be that dangerous. I won't be welding and painting at the same time.

besides the exploding isue, your welding room will get coverd with grinding dust that will find its way onto your nice new wet paint, grinding dust just plain goes every where and in a room of 25'x38' i just dont see you getting it clean enough to get a good paint spray.
    cut out a section seal it off and make it a paint booth only. it realy is not the 2 things that would share well. if you have that kind of space, dedicate it and you will be happyer in the long run.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I unerstand the grinding dust issue! Thanks for your input.

Gary,
    If you just want to capture some overspray from occasional painting you can buy a couple of 20 inch box fans at a discount strore and put a 24 by 24 inch fiberglass furnace filter in front of the fans. When I paint in my shop, I set the items to be painted on a piece of plywood on 2 saw horses and then position the 2 box fans behind the items. As I spray, the fans suck the overspray through the filters where it is collected. The fumes will still build up, but you can ventilate when you are done. You can also put a furnace filter infront of you permanent wall mounted exhaust fan to keep the overspray and dirt off of it.

Default Exhaust Fans

You should be able to find the fan your looking for at Grainger Supply,they are a wholesale distributor and have stores all over the U.S.. Or go on their web site www.grainger.com. Personally I use portable smoke eaters for welding smoke & fumes. I have seen where the blower assy from a old furnace as been used as exhaust fans.