Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default help brain fart!

need to figure out square inches for a print!! anyone have formula?

Not sure exactly what you're asking. But for example........if you have a rectangle that is 20" wide and 30" long.........multiply 20"x30" =600 sq inches.
    If the rectangle had a bottom, top, and 4 walls making it a box and it was 10" tall, it would be 6000 cubic inches inside. 20" wide x 30" long x 10" tall =6000
    ci. Hope this is what you wanted.

Default thanks

yea thats it i had a peice of flat 96" long 4" wide and need to know the sq" total! i think i got it!

Quote Originally Posted by WillietheWelder View Post
    yea thats it i had a peice of flat 96" long 4" wide and need to know the sq" total! i think i got it!
    The formula is simply Area = Length X Width as long as you are working with square, rectangular, or parallegram figures. (Triangular Area is Length X Width / 2.0) Gets a bit more complicated when working with shapes with curved sides. Note that all measurements must be in the same units. Makes no sense, for example to multiply length in feet by width in inches.

Your particular case is 4"X 96" = 384 sq in, or alternately 8' X (4/12)' = 32/12 = 2.67 sq ft. If you need to convert sq ft to sq in, simply multiply sq ft by 144 to get sq in or divide sq in by 144 to get sq ft.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Quote Originally Posted by TomVeatch View Post
    Makes no sense, for example to multiply length in feet by width in inches.
    Unless your programming the Mars Lander, right?
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

The formula is simply Area = Length X Width as long as you are working with square, rectangular, or parallegram figures. (Triangular Area is Length X Width / 2.0) Gets a bit more complicated when working with shapes with curved sides. Note that all measurements must be in the same units. Makes no sense, for example to multiply length in feet by width in inches.

Your particular case is 4"X 96" = 384 sq in, or alternately 8' X (4/12)' = 32/12 = 2.67 sq ft. If you need to convert sq ft to sq in, simply multiply sq ft by 144 to get sq in or divide sq in by 144 to get sq ft.
    which I woulda heard that two years ago... woulda made math a whole lot easier!!! I kid I kid
    Yea, I am 7'2... No, I do not play basketball!