Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long does a tank of pure argon last

I got my dynast 200dx in about a week ago and have done a fair bit of welding with it I usually run about 13 cfm. I weld for a hobby and the cylinder is 7" in diameter and 3and a half feet tall, not sure of the exact volume. Anyway when filled it had 2000 psi in it and now I have about 1250 in it. I weld for hobby but have done a fair bit of welding latly becasue I wanted to use my dynasty. I just wanted your thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks

Sounds like you have an 80cf (cubic foot) cylinder. When I got my Dynasty, that was the size I bought because it seemed to work fine for my MIG welder. After I went throught the tank in about a day or two just building a cart, I upgraded to a 120cf (pretty sure that's the size) cylinder. It's easy enought to move by yourself (not that I'd like to move it everyday) and cost about $5 more to fill than the 80cf tank. It will still be filled to 2000psi, but will last a lot longer.

I also weld for hobby applications and I don't have any problems with how often it needs to be refilled, and it still fits in the front seat of my car.
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

The tank your describing sounds like an 80 CF. at 13CFH it should last 6 hours of running time. Now running time includes the preflow and postflow times. I run a bit higher flow than you are and I can get a weekend of welding out of one if I have any fitting to do along the way.

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpinner
    Sounds like you have an 80cf (cubic foot) cylinder. When I got my Dynasty, that was the size I bought because it seemed to work fine for my MIG welder. After I went throught the tank in about a day or two just building a cart, I upgraded to a 120cf (pretty sure that's the size) cylinder. It's easy enought to move by yourself (not that I'd like to move it everyday) and cost about $5 more to fill than the 80cf tank. It will still be filled to 2000psi, but will last a lot longer.

I also weld for hobby applications and I don't have any problems with how often it needs to be refilled, and it still fits in the front seat of my car.
    I did the same thing. It worked out real good though becouse now I run off the 120 untill its empty and put the 80 on untill I get the 120 filld. Keeps from haveing to stop to go get gas on a sunday afternoon. ???
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Thanks guys I wasn;t sure how long that cylinder lasts, I'm definatly going to upgrade to a larger cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar
    I did the same thing. It worked out real good though becouse now I run off the 120 untill its empty and put the 80 on untill I get the 120 filld. Keeps from haveing to stop to go get gas on a sunday afternoon. ???
    I actually returned the 80cf tank and bought the 120cf. Than I bought a 40cf tank for very easy protability. I don't really ever take it anywhere (like I thought I would), but I was also worried about running out between saturday after 3pm and monday morning.
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

3faze,

Look on the neck ring. The tank volume will be stamped there somewhere. Divide that number by the cubic feet per hour you set your regulator to. The result is how many hours you can run on it. Trust me, it ain't empty 'till it's EMPTY!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Does 98/2 end up being lower pressure than regular c25 or straight argon?

Twin City Oxygen gave me a 124 that's only reading 1500psi and I know the gauge is good cause it read 2200 on the full 150 of argon. Even my 80cf tanks are filled to 2200 on c25. What gives?

Talking You got short sticked....

Having had this happen a few times, I get my suppler to "gauge" the bottle when I pic it up. The guys on the dock know me and do it when they get the order from the front desk. They treat me well and I usually will bring them a cake or pizza on occassion to thank them. I like the service and say "thank you" from time time. Good prices and good service combined are are hard to find sometimes.

Frank
    XMT300( yes it still works),Hobart Heafty CC/CV, MM175, Airco HF box, Profax spool gun, Bobcat 225, Victor and Smith torches. Reserrected MM130 and Thunderbolt (Katrina flood throwaways) ,

Hey Jim you only got a tank 3/4 full should of been 2000-2200 psi