Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller Battery Not Holdiing A Charge

I have a Bobcat 250 with a 20 hp Kohler engine. I have had a problem with it charging the battery. Other sites suggested to check the voltage from the a/c connectors and suppose to get 27 volts but meter is showing 25.8 volts. I want to know if the stator is good or replace the voltage regulator. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by McMullen View Post
    I have a Bobcat 250 with a 20 hp Kohler engine. I have had a problem with it charging the battery. Other sites suggested to check the voltage from the a/c connectors and suppose to get 27 volts but meter is showing 25.8 volts. I want to know if the stator is good or replace the voltage regulator. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
    Had you jump started it..?? if you did... you probably blew the regulator.. if not a circuit board..

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by H80N; 06-25-2014 at 10:10 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

You should have 50 vac between the two stator wires. The magnets have come off your flywheel and are stuck to the stator. You need a new flywheel and possibly a new stator. Whoever told you 27 vac is wrong.

How old is the battery? You know after 4-5 years a lead acid battery will get to where it won't hold a charge no matter how much/long you charge it.

Default biggest probelm with kohlers.,,

Quote Originally Posted by 1997CST View Post
    You should have 50 vac between the two stator wires. The magnets have come off your flywheel and are stuck to the stator. You need a new flywheel and possibly a new stator. Whoever told you 27 vac is wrong.
    Between the unsealed wiring harness and the flywheel loosing there magnets these are the issues that plague the kohler engines, if it were me i would hook straight to the truck battery, dissable the charging system on the welder, pull the flywheel remove magnets, or the magnets grind up and cause even more issues, use a 90 amp resettable breaker, wire in 6 gauge wire postive wiring, ground welder to chassis, charge propelms gone...
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck