Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Millermatic 150-Wiring Help

I just purchased a used Millermatic 150 last weekend. My garage isn't setup for 220v so a co-worker who is also an electrician came over to help. We wired up a 30 amp circuit on 10/3 for the welder and were getting ready to install the plug on it when we noticed that the welder itself is wired with what looks like 10/2.

I'm no electrician but the the plate on the back of the welder reads 230v/20A so I purchased a four prong plug and receptacle assuming I'd need two hots, a neutral, and a ground. The cable on the welder (which the previous owner installed) is 10/2 and where it is wired into the welder there are three connections marked T1 through T3. T1 is empty, T2 looks like the neutral, and T3 looks like the hot. Setup this way, wouldn't the machine only be running on 110v? The cable had no plug when I bought it so I couldn't see how he had it wired, if maybe he had it run with two hots and no neutral. Does anyone have experience with this particular welder and know the proper wiring scheme for it?

Default mm 150

Your two hots go to the power switch, and of course a ground to case. You do not have a neutral with a 230v machine. I do not see any "H" connections on any of the diagrams, so I am confused. You can download an owners manual for free from Miller, whch has the wiring diagrams.

You only need 4 wires (2 hot, 1 gnd, 1 neutral) if you are wiring something that requires BOTH 110V AND 220V (such as a kitchen range or clothes dryer). If it ONLY uses 220 (your welder, a water heater, etc.) then you only need 3 wires (2 hot, 1 gnd). If it can use EITHER 110 OR 220 (like my Miller Multimatic 200) then you are only using 3 wires on the welder cord because you are plugging it into a 220 outlet OR a 110 outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat78 View Post
    I just purchased a used Millermatic 150 last weekend. My garage isn't setup for 220v so a co-worker who is also an electrician came over to help. We wired up a 30 amp circuit on 10/3 for the welder and were getting ready to install the plug on it when we noticed that the welder itself is wired with what looks like 10/2.

I'm no electrician but the the plate on the back of the welder reads 230v/20A so I purchased a four prong plug and receptacle assuming I'd need two hots, a neutral, and a ground. The cable on the welder (which the previous owner installed) is 10/2 and where it is wired into the welder there are three connections marked T1 through T3. T1 is empty, T2 looks like the neutral, and T3 looks like the hot. Setup this way, wouldn't the machine only be running on 110v? The cable had no plug when I bought it so I couldn't see how he had it wired, if maybe he had it run with two hots and no neutral. Does anyone have experience with this particular welder and know the proper wiring scheme for it?
    apparently either is your friend
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    apparently either is your friend
    Haha, ya she did residential high voltage before she joined the military; welders aren't her specialty, but she's the closest thing I've got. She got the circuit wired up without killing either of us or starting a fire, so she was worth the six-pack of beer for a nights work.

I rewired the plug for two hots plus ground, so I just need to pick up a spool of wire and a new regulator for the cylinder I got with it and we'll see what happens.
    In the meantime what can you guys tell me about this welder? I used Millers for a long time in my auto body and restoration days before I came into the military, but only little 110 hobby welders to do sheet metal. I bought this welder for general fabrication and to build off-road bumpers on the side for a little extra scratch.

What branch of service are you in and where are you stationed?? Just curious!!MikeCTMCS USN (Retired)

I'm Air Force. Stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix, AZ.

Hey Wildcat, how do you like Luke? I got cheated out of going there. There were 11 of us in my tech school class, 10 went to Luke, I got stuck with Cannon Afb. I was ticked off, but ended up liking it and I've been here 19 years now.

You'd have loved Luke back then, but it's going the same direction as the rest of the Air Force now. Insufficient manning, no money, apathetic, rank-chasing supervision. As much as I have my professional opinions about Luke, I can say I absolutely love Phoenix and Arizona in general. I was in Okinawa at Kadena before I was here and, while Japan is gorgeous and the Japanese are pretty amazing people, I don't miss all the SOFA restrictions and that God-awful humidity.

What AFSC are you?

AIR FORCE BRAT here:
    Dover, McClellan, Howard, Myrtle Beach, Ramstein, back to Dover yeehaw!

many moons ago.

anyhoo-

The MM150 is an underpowered 240v Mig welder- I hope ya got it for a good price.
    It is 120amps rated 30% Duty Cycle.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1310f_mil.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus