Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Burn?

On the subject of friends, if you find one or two good, close friends and comrades during your life, as opposed to mere acquaintences and casual friends, you will have a treasure beyond compare.

The man I'll always consider first in that category was killed before he reached 20 years of age. That was long ago and far away during a time in my life that I prefer not to dwell on but it's a rare day, even now, well over 40 years later, that he doesn't cross my mind.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Tom I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My best friend moved away to Ohio and I got very upset he was my first bestfriend we spent an intire summer hanging out skateboarding sleepovers videogames I even introduced him to his now ex girlfriednt hat went out for almost 2 years. he came back for her about 2 months ago I thought he came back so we could hang out againb ut it didnt turn out that well he is still my bestfriend we might not hang out all the time but we still talk and have a good time on msn or phone. Oh we also are goign to be goign to the same college next year sow e wil probly be driving eachother up. thats if we both get excepted

Default Back on topic

Some people have claimed to have gotten flash burned thru their eyelids!
    Since I got myself an autodarkening hood years ago I no longer tack weld in that manner...I just don't have to...things turn out nicer also!
    Nothing like having a real good buzz on and then start realizing you got a bad one earlier that day...I don't miss it a bit. Niether does oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Some people have claimed to have gotten flash burned thru their eyelids!
    UltraViolet rays (specifically UV-B) travels through thin soft tissue materal we call eyelids. Don't get cought up in the hype of TV shows like American Chopper, where you see those guys doing spot welds with thier eye closed...

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

JH I do agree with you about AMerican chopper showing unsafe habbets about welding safety. I cant say I am much better from now on I think ill just wear a sled no matter how small a job is. Plus I find when you jsut shut your eyes I tend to move off from the place I want to tack so really it takes just as long by the end of it.. but that is just me.

Several years ago my Father was working in a shop where welding was being done and he received a real bad flash burn. About 2AM he called the wife and had her take him to the emergency room and have some oitment put in the eyes to kill the pain.

Protect your eyes.
    Don't ask me to do a dam thing, I'm retired
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Linclon Idealarc sp 200
    Thermodyne Econo-pak50
    Victor O/A tourch.

I find quite a few of the shows on tv display unsafe practices. People watching these shows, (that aren't in the know) can learn a disreguard for the safety equipment they don't see being used.

On another note: I've had a bad flash once.
    My welding helmet fell on the floor, to which I was unaware, and the gold plated filter lens got scratched real bad on the concrete. A fellow worker put my helmet back together and when I picked it up I hadn't the slightest clue. I welded for about four hours doing aluminum mig spray. Later, around bed time, the flash kicked in. A friend of mine brought me some Pontocain to ease the burn.
    I've also suffered from sun-burned eyelids from tacking with no helmet. Not cool. Although burned uncomfortable eyelids are less of a bother than welder's flash, I personally don't want an encounter with eyelid skin cancer.

Cool Don't just close your eyes.....

If you think a minor flashburn to your eyes is painful, one on the eyelids is another new sensation! It's one of the most sensitive areas, not usually exposed to sunlight as your eyes are mostly open. tons of itchy, burning without the sand in you eyes feel. Wear your hood! My Miller Elite big window is awesome!

Ric G.

The worst eye burn I have ever seen happened where I work I got a new guy to train one day, we furnish everyone an auto helmet the guy said he was a welder and had used an auto helmet for years so I give him some scrap to weld on and left him alone came back about 3 or 4 hours later he raised his helmet and his eyes looked like blood red. he wore contacts and had welded the entire time without turning on his helmet, contacts melted to his eyes had to go to hospital and have them peeled off made me hurt just thinking of it. come to find out he had never welded before he even ruined the scrap LOL. also since he had never welded he had no clue about the helmet. So that goes to show if you dont know how to do somthing just say so ask for help. dont lie it will hurt you in the end.