I am a metal shop teacher in northern Ca. The other day I was demostrating how to strike an arc SMAW, and then running a bead. I don't have enough welding helmets for all my students and I told them to take turns and I will strike an arc and runs some beads numerous times. Well one studet decided that he was to tough to use a helmet, he watched me run eight beads without an helmet. The next day the woodshop teacher comes and gets me to take to his shop and told me to go and look at this student who decided not to where a hood. As soon as the I saw this student you could tell he was in a great deal of pain with just the light in the shop. He had gotten flashburn and it was bad. Here is the kicker this student welds on his own at home with his family, he knew what would happen and did nothing about it. Bottum line is now I have a good example for other students to ask and see how important eye protection really is. From day one of school I have told my students that the pretty blue light can be mesmorizing but don't stare at without proper eye protection. I also tell my students all the time, you only have two eyes for the rest of your life protect them at all costs!