Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I do have lots of high quality tools, a lot of my screw drivers and nut drivers are Klien. I have SAE and Metric Snap On set of ratchets, as well as my fathers 1/2 and 3/4 inch sets.

Most of my shop stuff is like threading equipment from Hanson and my other stuff is quality brand. Around the house, the garden and some other places, I use HF stuff. But some of there stuff is actually pretty good. For the last 2 years, these 1/2 inch D handles have been abused to a degree and used heavily. I used to buy Sears stuff because of the band recognition, but there stuff is crap these days. I have a set of Craftsman files, that were 14 years old and were dulling up, took back to Sears and the clerk didn't understand that a life time warranty is a life time warranty. Finally the department manager, broke a set of files and replaced mine.

In files I have 3 craftsman, and a bunch of Nicklsons. My finer small files are from jewelry supply houses.

My end mills are very high quality and my carbide for my lathe is quality.

The quality of my welding equipment shows the same quality.

But I cut down a lot of trees in my backyard. Stumps from 4 inch to 16 inches anound. I got a decent drill bit and my 3/8 drill was stalling out, so I bought the HF drill. It would do a few, then I would wait for another bunch of trees to come down. Then drill them full of holes. You ask why drill the stumps, I get a stump remover that you pour the powder in the holes, wait a couple of weeks, then fill with kerosene, let stand for a couple weeks, then add some more kerosene and light. This burns right down thru the roots. Doing this abuses drills and bits.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    HF (Harbour Freight sells small trailers), but I don't know if the frames are thick enough to SMAW on , maybe a viberating engraver might be a better choice, or maybe mig it. Jerry, If you really need to do this then I would clean it, use a 1/16 or 3/32 6013 rod, turn the amps down as low as possible, clean it & paint it.
    Anything I weld a name or serial number on, I use SS, it's almost impossible to completely grind it off or hide it . . . oftentimes I put the name on top, then the DMV serial number on the bottom. Assuming, of course, the metal is thick enough to weld without any strength or stress issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    .... You ask why drill the stumps, I get a stump remover that you pour the powder in the holes, wait a couple of weeks, then fill with kerosene, let stand for a couple weeks, then add some more kerosene and light. This burns right down thru the roots....

Jerry
    Sorry Jerry, gonna pick on ya for a sec....I like my version of stump removal. It involves joysticks, hydraulic cylinders, and a diesel engine. There's just something about ripping stuff out of the ground that makes you feel like a kid again....I didn't grow up...I just got a bigger sand box and bigger toys!! Have a good one....SSS

SkidSteerSteve
    not all of us are lucky enough to get to play with the big sand toys. must be nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    not all of us are lucky enough to get to play with the big sand toys. must be nice.
    Like this?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skid,

If it wasn't for those blasted terrorist, I would use shaped charges. Or even a B' Cap like I did with my grandpa.

in G.I. Jane, I like this line, "I like to blow Sh$t up!" But those days are over, too much govenrment and the places I could get this special stuff from told me, paperwork is too much of a hassle and I could get a spot inspection.

Jerry

boom!!! is always fun
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    Like this?????
    Ma can calweld come over and play?

no kidding i could shore use one of them for a day, but i never get to play with the realy cool toys
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES