Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding my initials on something

I have never tried this. I want to take my stick welder with some kinf of rod and put my initials or my name on my HF trailer, how should I go about this??

I think these are the steps:

1) remove paint
    2) prewarn area
    3) Us 60xx or 70xx rod, weld my intial
    4) post heat
    5) let cool
    6) prime the area
    7) paint
    8) get a beer or in my case a diet coke

Is this really about all?

and what kind of rod?

Jerry

Pardon the ignorance....HF trailer? SSS

Quote Originally Posted by SkidSteerSteve View Post
    Pardon the ignorance....HF trailer? SSS
    HF (Harbour Freight sells small trailers), but I don't know if the frames are thick enough to SMAW on , maybe a viberating engraver might be a better choice, or maybe mig it. Jerry, If you really need to do this then I would clean it, use a 1/16 or 3/32 6013 rod, turn the amps down as low as possible, clean it & paint it.
    Last edited by Sundown; 01-05-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Thanks for the info, I looked at the frame and Sundown was right, it is a bit thin. I am going to stamp my name into the frame. I have Alpha Numeric stamping set. That will work better than a vibrating engraver.

If you don't know about Harbor Freight, then you haven't lived. You need to go to a HF store near you.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    If you don't know about Harbor Freight, then you haven't lived. You need to go to a HF store near you.
    If you're not familiar with Harbor Freight, it'd be worth stopping in a local store and looking around. As I understand it, it's on about the same level as Homier, if you're familiar with them. I'm not, so I'm just repeating what I've been told about that.

Most of the HF stuff seems to be Chinese imports relabeled with American sounding names such as "Chicago Electric", "Central Machinery", "Pittsburgh Pneumatics", etc., and fairly low priced. In my experience, quality varies all over the map from some good stuff to cheap junk. The first time purchase of any particular item is pretty much a crap shoot. I bought a little 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for, as I recall, less than $15 a couple of years ago that's still going strong. I also bought a 18v cordless drill that stripped its gears before I finished the project I bought it for.

Supposedly they have a good warranty/replacement program, but I've never used it. In those cases, the drill for example, I figure why bother replacing one POS with another.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

Duh...

Ok, well I feel a bit akward

I'm more that familiar with Harbour Freight. We have a store here in OKC. I have my fair share of stuff from them. Mostly just cheap stuff that I plan on tearing up somewhere along the way. My regular use stuff in either Craftsman or Snap-On.

My default for HF is High Frequency for short wave radios. You can see why I wondering about something called a HF Trailer. SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 01-05-2007 at 05:20 PM.

It is also know as "Harbor Fright" to some people. Cheap is a relative term. I keep buying their 1/2" - D handled drills, they run for about 6 months and something is gives out, burn out mostly. I take them back they give me a new one.

Try that with Sears.

I bought the trailer kit there because it is one of the few that is light enough for my Honda Element. I have about 1,800 pound towing capacity with it. So that trailer works great for me. When I need heavier, I can borrow a 10K capacity trailer and a truck with a big engine to pull the trailer. But when I am hauling my riding mower or something like that, the little trailer behind my Honda is plenty enough trailer. Plus I get good mileage with the Honda.

Jerry

HF sounds a lot like Princess Auto here in Canada. PA carries a whole line of tools that range from pig iron(junk) to drop forged steel...They sell hydraullic components, small engines, parts for farm equipment, cell phone stuff, welding supplies, pillow blocks, gears, shafts, you name it, all for a low price. I've bought tools from PA that lasted a one-time-use, and others that have stood up to the demands and are still working years later.

Johnny,

HF is a combination of Princess Auto and Busy Bee Tools. But they are closer to Busy Bee than PA.

Jerry

I keep buying their 1/2" - D handled drills, they run for about 6 months and something is gives out, burn out mostly. I take them back they give me a new one.

Try that with Sears.

why would you want to have to return your drill every 6 months?? i got a good millw. about 10 years ago still runs fine, i also picked up a lighter dewalt about 5 years ago, again still running strong.
    HF is marketed to the home hoby guy that rarely uses his tools and thinks saving some $$ is more important that getting a quality tool that will last. witch is just foolish, look at all the $$$ you have spent on gas returning the same drill, you could have just spent the $ for a good one and all the time you spent returning it you could have been working on some thing.
    buying cheep tools never saves you any $$ it always ends up causting you one way or another. i am far from having loads of $$ to spend on anything but it realy is cheaper in the long run to just get a good tool in the first place. if you dont know what HF is its probly for the best. electrical tape, hamers, grese fittings and maybee some wheels is about the only thing werth getting there. check my bank acount its almost always colse to or in the red but 90% of the time i still save up till i can get a good tool, buying it once and having it for life or nearly that. HF is no way to start a tool colection, i would rather have 1/2 as many tools and know they will work when i pick them up, than have a hole shop full of cheepo stuf that may or may not die in the midle of my project causing me to find a way to make another tool (the wrong one for the job) do the work the broken one cant, or lose 1/2 a day going back to swop it out for another POS.
    go buy a good tool and run away from HF screeming like you were on fire.

as for welding in your name, i used my MIG on my trailor to add the ser.#'s when i licenced it. (no not a HF version)
    ok flame away.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES