Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Narrowed rear end and frame

Here's some pictures of a narrowed rear end and frame section for my 78 El camino drag car that I just completed. All tig welded with my Dynasty 200. I don't have my water cooled torch hooked up yet so I was using a 150 amp air cooled torch which was hard to keep cool, so I came up with a snow cooled torch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks good Drag Racer. What kind of tubing did you use? Did you use a 4 link kit from someone or come up with it yourself? Just curious.

Joshua

It is 2x4 tubing 1/8" wall. I bought the 4-link from a guy on ebay that was building them. 1/4'' thick housing and frame brackets 21'' bars, threaded tube inserts that weld into Chrome Moly Tubing. 1-1/4'' o.d. x .095'' wall tube 3/4" Rod Ends. The diff has Moser 35 spline axles and spool with 5/8" wheel studs. 5.14:1 gears. It is powered by a 640hp SBC and a 2speed powerglide with a 5000stall converter. I am hoping to keep the car under 2800 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks sweet, but then again I have a weakness for anything chassis related.

Default frame

Looks great! I did 2 cars, a 79 Malibu and a 78 Regal. One suggestion I would make for the frame section is to add another tube above the main crossmember to act as a driveshaft safety loop. You could also add 2 vertical bars from the maincross member to the upper tube also. There are some pics of mine posted here under "long time lurker".

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see some more pics!

scott

The 79 Malibu has the same frame as the El camino. Your Malibu looks great! I would like to see a side view of the car.
    I will definitely add some more bracing and structure when I install the frame into the car, and I add the roll cage.
    I want to build my own tube bender for bending my roll cage, Can anyone recommend anyone to buy the 1 3/4" tube bending dies from. I am looking for a quality die set.
    Thanks

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/tu...be-bender.html

Thought that might help! I think allot of people use the pro tools dies.