Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Spool Gun With Millermatic 180??

Hey guys, just curious, I know that miller says you need a spool gun controller to run with a mm180, but my retailer says you don't... Who know what??? any of oyu running a spool gun on your mm180?? how do you like it? is it good for aluminim????

Quote Originally Posted by apexvinyl View Post
    Hey guys, just curious, I know that miller says you need a spool gun controller to run with a mm180, but my retailer says you don't... Who know what??? any of oyu running a spool gun on your mm180?? how do you like it? is it good for aluminim????
    Why don't you have your retailer directly connect a Miller 3035 spoolgun to that MM180 and run it for you. I'd be very interested in how it works. To the best of my knowledge you will need a SGA100 controller to make that spoolgun work with the MM180. I could be wrong but I don't think so, but you can run aluminum thru the M-10 gun it comes with, it's just not a elegant and sometimes a pain to do.

Oh yeah, this is a quote from the Miller MM180 specifiactions page

"Add the Spoolmate™ 3035 spool gun and SGA spool gun adapter for welding with .030-.035 in (0.8-0.9 mm) aluminum wire on 14 gauge to 1/4 in material".
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Default Mm350

We run a spool gun with aluminum at the college with a mm350 and it's got a little dial on the bottom of the handle and that changes the voltage on the machine. I hate it. Maybe if I knew someone skilled in aluminum MIG welding it would be different.

Default You found the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft Welder View Post
    We run a spool gun with aluminum at the college with a mm350 and it's got a little dial on the bottom of the handle and that changes the voltage on the machine. I hate it. Maybe if I knew someone skilled in aluminum MIG welding it would be different.
    If you need to kow it, the guys here are tho ones to ask (except for me, I don't mig). I have learned a lot (and about more than welding) from the discussions on this forum. BTW, thank you all for the marvelous info you share so freely with those of us struggling to muddle through our welding lives.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Default It won't work... Sorry

If you could send the feed motor power to the Spoolmate 3035, the motor would turn far to slowly to weld (bye bye contact tip). Been there, done that!

The SGA 100 control is the only way to make the 3035 work w/ the MM180.. sorry.

Happy welding

Default question answered..

LOL.. alright guys, thanks. I thought you had to uses the controller.. and since my retailer was so convinced that you did'nt need it " would'nt even give me a price" I have now decided to purchase it elsewhere.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions once it arives...

Thanks...

Jack

just wondering, if you were looking at a spool gun why didnt you go with the MM210 ?? it dose not need the sga adapter and the $ saved there would have brought it close to the same finished out the door price. was the spool gun an after thought?? being as its the 180 it has to be a fairly new purchase, i would have thought a good dealer would have pointed you to the MM210 befor trying to set up a spool gun on a 180. although we have determined this dealer dont know squot.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES