Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pay in your area

What does the average welder get paid in your area? Where I live It's not good. In a general manufacturing business they can expect 10 to 12 an hour here, usually start out at about 8.50 no matter what school or experience you have. But I blame the county commision they have set standards, as in we had a new company move here about 3 years ago and they were going to start welders out at 14 an hour, but the commission wouldn't allow it because they were affraid it would take all employees away from the small businesss. Fair to small business owners unfair to employees.

Hmmmmm...... I thought this was the USA. I would pay what I wanted to regardless. It is called competition and fre enterprise, isn't it?

The pay here is about the same or a little less for basic production welders. Sadly, the quality of the work reflects it as well. But as long as we are screaming for cheap stuff made here, that sort of thing will continue.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

an experienced code welder can start at 14 and up in the tulsa area if he haggles with the right shops. structure welders can start around 11 if they "shop" around.

Default pay in your area

I thought i was under paid at 20 dlls an hour.
    maybe i shouldn't complain

Default Welder pay.

The company I just gladly left pays $20 - $25 per hour plus per diem for welders and fitters on travel jobs. The ones who actually showed up fell into three major categories. 1) Wouldn't take/couldn't pass a drug test. 2) Couldn't pass a welding certification. 2) Would not show up for work on time on a regular basis. The exceptions were the guys who did all three. It was an ongoing process once we started a job to keep it properly staffed with people. Some days we were short of welders, so I would weld. Some days fitters were scarce and I would fit. If we were short of both, I would fit and weld. They are history now. I start my new gig Monday morning as a straight technician and will seldom get to burn a rod on the job . I will miss welding anywhere but my own shop, but the better pay/benefits/treatment I will receive should dull the pain some .
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

I should ask around as to how much real welders make around here. I just know about the production ones and assembly line types because my LWS rep was talking about it the other day. I would imagine that range to be in the 15-20 buck range maybe depending on type of job. Bad thing about here is pay is the last thing to go up. They still have a cheap labor mentality here. It may never go away completely, but it is starting. Burger joints are paying 9 bucks an hour now.....almost as much as welders.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Where I work I only get minimum wage mind you I am a ASAP student so i am still a apprentice but I havent had any college education so that gives them more of a right to pay me less the other apprentice there is getting I think $10 or more an hour though.

Cool Welders Pay

This is interesting because at one time I was almost willing to give any thing to work in the states I'm kinda wondering what is the pay for a red seal welder and fabricator.?

Two years ago I was paid $25/hr in Surrey welding aluminum. Now, here in Alberta, the going shop rate in Calgary is between $25 and $34/hr. That's not including pressure tickets or exotic metal welding. Contractor rigs are getting $80 - $90/hour here in the city, and much more up north.

This should give you an idea for Canadian rates. Type in welder and whatever area of the country you're interested in.

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Search_...=10&Student=No