Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Smile You all will probably disagree

Go stand in front of the mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you see?? Thats right, the problem with our children is staring right back at you. Everybody wants to blame, the govt, employeers, cheap labor, school teachers and so on. The problem starts at home. Why would a parent "not" want their children to work hard. I want my children to be more succesful than me but I dont care if they work hard doing it. We need to stop babying children and raise them in the way the should go. If they need a spanking, do it. Problem solved, no wasted time out chair.
    So my suggestion is grow some.....take charge of your childrens life while they are young and raise them, as it is YOUR responsibilty. If you wait untill they are 10 to give them responsibility its too late, Give them responsibilties and rewards for doing great, not an allowance.
    I'm blessed to have 2 boys 22 and 17,they both work their butts off. One is in business with my wife [went to a community college to learn business manegement/accounting] and is now married and building a house. YES building his own house. I mean driving nails. My youngest is almost through flight lessons [30 hrs, you have to have 40]he started when he was 16. He's in senior year of high school and goes to school and works average of 30 hrs a week. He has paid for every lesson himself about $130 each time or about $4000. Both boys bought their own pickups. Both have had paying part time jobs since they were 14, not counting working for me and I didn't pay them to cut the grass. If they helped me on a paying job, they got paid, stuff around home is expected.
    I hope I dont come across as bragging because I'm not, I'm blessed. I am not a perfect parent either, But they would not be the way they are if I had not had a hand in it.
    So to end my rant, I leave you with this, Lots of young parents or will be parents on here. DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR KIDS. If they turn out lazy or unskilled its your fault!

OK getting off soap box
    Last edited by HMW; 11-01-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling/typing
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

phatboy97,

I agree with you that it all starts at home( on a lot of fronts) but until the wages start increasing to a point where a person can earn a decent living and support a family then dont be surprised that parents are not willing to steer there kids into skilled trades. I would support my kids in whatever decision they make on there career paths that they want to take but I honestly would only steer them into welding as a hobby and not as a means of support. If it was not for owning my own company and I had to rely on welding as my only means of support my living standards today would be drastically different. The skill level I require of the Aircraft/Aerospace tig welders that I hire are very high and they are well compensated accordingly for there services. But that does not seem to be the case in most other industries. Why we are at where we are at with wages is worthy of its own thread.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Scott

Default Probulsion

Thats a good one, start a thread on why skilled labor wages are not very good
    Scott

Post apprentice wages

sorry for the rant, the subject just hit a nerve with me. Hope I didn't offend anyone. when I was working as an apprentice about 75 - 80% of the work load was done by the rookies getting $14/h. the apprentice! the shop would then charge the costomer full shop rate. how does this work? good enough to work on the big money jobs but not good enough to get even a survivable wage. someone is collecting and sitting high on the hog. ya good system.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Maybe my story would help you to understand why there are too few welders.
    I attended a 2 year welding course at a votech in my hometown in 1993. Many metal fabrication companies were hiring at that time. I never had a problem finding a job. About 2001, outsourceing became very popular among employers. Our government was giving huge tax incentives to American companies who sent their work overseas. My current employer, desperate to compete against the dirt cheap labor, decided quantity was more important than quality; get the product to the customer faster than the Chinese could ship it. Then paycuts and layoffs. The only way I could find another welding job was to work for a temporary employment agency:low pay, no benefits. You could only work for 3 months and then you were sent away because no employer could afford to hire permanent employees. I then decided it was useless to fight the government, so I returned to school and learned to be a diesel mechanic. After 2 more years of investing in school for a job I assumed was secure(after all, you can't send a Mack truck over to China to be worked on!) I now live in fear that I will lose this one as well thanks to our governments new NAFTA highway which allows trucks from Mexico to travel all throughout the US. No need for American trucking fleets when Mexican fleets can be hired to bring goods to any place in America cheaper. No need for American repair technicians when Mexican trucks DO NOT have to abide by Federal Department of Transpertation standards for safety. What can you do? If employers can't send the work to China, they bring Mexico here. Our government wants cheap labor for the corporations, not Americans who will demand to be paid fairly for labor. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be a welder anymore! I should have gone to school to be a greedy CEO.

Default mem21495

Being a mechanic all my life I would have to agree with you . It does seem Amercian companys are killing the industry and its not from the cost of labor. Its the greed of the CEOs and board of directors. I've been fortunate to have never been layed off and have worked as Technician/welder for 25+ years. Only worked 3 different places not counting the USMC or family. 2 were fleets, been at this one 19 years. Stick in there though, diesels arent going away. I dont know what work you do on them but the diagnostic work is best pay, and will be in the future. Maybe you already know how, but if you dont, learn the test equipment. In my area, light duty mechanics make more than heavy truck mechanics, go figure. Might want to look into light duty diesel work, pickups etc.....good luck
    Scott

Default what kids r lacking is a work ethic

honestly it has alot to do with how the kids are braught up now a days because to be honest im 17 trying to become the best welder i can and ive done all every welding class the school has to offer nd i feel like ive learned more in there than any other of my class with the exception of few classes but alot of kids lack a work ethic for example the other day in welding class i was working on a project and im the smallest guy in the class and you have all these people just standing around and its like less staring and more work .
    Then again i grew up as a kid to a blue collar worker but at least i know everything i have it'll be because ive worked towards it unlikes alot of other kids whos teachers tell oh its ok billy i'll pass you and basically dumb the class down. I belive its mainly dependant on the teachers and the parents because they help determine the outcome of the student.

A lot depends on what area you are from as to whether its the company being greedy or the workers. I see it from both sides of the fence. Hershey Foods are moving some of their operations, why pay a worker $27 an hour to watch candy bars go down the line. At my place of employment, a few guys are trying to get the union in, these same guys refuse to get dirty, they wont bend over to pick something up, they wont lift over 20lb, they will not work 1 minute past time without overtime, the list goes on. In my mind, unions are ruining this country, sure they were needed back in the early days but those days are past. I see it with greedy CEO's also, tyhinking they should be paid more they they deserve, after a while, the company is not bringing in the profits and bang.

So I blame most of this on the parents. This shows how the person was brought up. They were given everything until they had to go out and work. Now they want it all again. Children need to get out at an early age, start working on a farm, do dishes in a restaurant, work for minimum wage or less. They will appreciate their belongings a little more. I started at 12 delivering newspapers, 14 baling hay, washing dishes at 15, sweeping floors at 18, foundry work at 21, been an Inspector for 30 years, welder for 5, 20 or more certificates under my belt. Do I make big money ? No but I am happy and I can retire with a pension.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC