Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Thank God there are to few Welders

By all measures - I'm an old fart, I can and have rebuilt car engines, can do a tune up, do brake jobs, and fabricate almost anyting I can envision. When I was growing up we fixed our own cars - we couldn't afford to to take it to a dealer or mechanic.

Please don't misconstrue what I'm about to say - America has become a wasteful society. I'm not an enviro-nazi. I work in high-tech for my paycheck, and am trying to get my metal business started.

I know a number of people that travel to the mid-east on a regular basis, guess what the top trade is? - Welding!!

I wish I was young enough to go though the process to become a certified welder, I could travel the world paid for by my arcs & sparks....

Steve

Talking

I'm 20 yrs. old, hold a succesful job, I've graduated from collage, I'm about to buy a $200,000 house, I'm very smart, very hard working, I respect my elders, love my parrents, have extremly high morrals, don't do drugs, etc. etc... all because my parrents gave a **** about me. My dad is one of the hardest workers I've ever seen and **** as can be about work quality. My mom has always taught me to do the right thing and I will continue to do so. Most of all they wern't affraid to give me smack if I deserved it. They were far from politicly correct and were hard workers, thats why I turned out to be succesful. Most moms get upset at the schools for not being polliticly correct, mine brought them to court for being poloiticly correct and won. School was way beter for every student after that. I thank my parrents every day for fighting so hard against the modern changes in the world just so my siblings and I would have a bit of the old school ethics still in us.

There seems to be to few of any trade. At least poeple you would want working for you. One complaint I have is in our high schools. The guidance there steers everyone who could go to college away from vo-tech. Thats a shame. That means only those who are troublemakers or not the brightest are our new crop of tradesmen. The guidance actually told my son that colleges would not look at you favorably if you attended vo-tech. I can't believe that. Colleges want money and if you have the grades they'll accept you. No matter what trade you like. Needless to say my oldest son went to vo-tech and is graduating this spring with a degree in Business manegement and one in accounting. So i guess vo-tech didn't hurt huh? He's actually in business with my wife [landscaping, pools etc]. My other son is in vo-tech now. He was accepted to the national techinical honor society and get this, to the national [academic] honor society. So when he graduates next year he'll be the only one with [2] sashs. These kids, as well as your kids are going to be the business leaders of the future. So in short, we can blame everyone, but really its our jobs as parents [ not the schools] to guide our children, make them work, teach disicpline and respect and they'll do OK no matter what they chose
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Very good topic, A lot of good points made. Here are my two cents. Regarding lack of skilled labor or the current generations lack of mechanical aptitude is 75% on the parents and 25% on society. I was raised in a blue colar military family. When my grandpa went to Europe in WWII He landed Omaha D+2. My grandma didnt sit on her butt and wait for her husband to come home. She went to work as a Ship Welder in Vancouver Washington. Both still alive and kicking, you dont want to mess with my grandma shes a 5'3" ball of fire.

My grandparents and parents raised me with the baby boomers generation work ethic. Although I am 31 and who knows what generation I am in, X Y Z who cares. I feel sorry for my generation. Their lack of general knowledge of anything that has not been spoon fed to them in a classroom. My generation is clueless in regards to the school of life. Also lacking any sort of common sense!

My parents knew I had a interest in tools from the time I was a kid. My favorite toys were Tonka Trucks, Legos, Erector sets and that Back hoe mounted in the sand box at the park. My schools had great metal shop, electronics shop and woodshop. Every year since 6th grade I was in some sort of shop class. The schools I went to dont have that anymore. Its been replaced with computer classes.

In a nut shell thats basically the 75% Now comes the 25% or Societies fault. My profession is a fireman for one of the largest departments in the nation. We have about 3600 sworn line employees. In recruitment of new firemen....excuse me "firefighters" My dept put a lot of emphasis on recruiting future members with college educations. All fine and well. Except our testing process is all basic math, reading, comprehension. Nothing mechanical, nothing common sense. So I am seeing rookies or what we call "boot firemen" that have masters degrees, but don't know the difference between a 9/16" socket and 1/2" open/end box. Some boots can learn basic mechanics, but most will never be proficient. How do you expect a fireman to fix his chainsaw when it breaks on a fire, sorry ma'am we burned your house down since our chainsaw broke and we had to send it in to the repair shop it will be back in 2 weeks. Thats an exaggeration but you get my point. Society, the administration and city hall are pushing for diversity in the fire service. Thus leading to recruits that are not cut out for the job of firefighter.

Back in the day if you wanted to be a apprentice welder and you were terrible someone told you hey kid maybe your not cut out for welding, try you hand at something else. In today's society I see hey kid maybe your not cut out to be a fireman, but we'll change our standards so you can get by.

Ok I am off my soap box for now.

id have to agree with the majority, society doesnt consider being a skilled trades person sucessfull. When i was in highschool i got high 80's in all my classes (no not biology! physics, comp sci, s level courses), but when i started taking part more in vocation's it was like all of my teachers were dissapointed, like i 'could do better'.

id would also agree that no one wants to start out at the bottom anymore, and not many are willing to work, especially at the bottom!

My oldest son is a Drill Istructor in the Marine Corp at Parris Island. He tell me that he can't belived how so many young men today are Momy boys. They don't like making their bed and he get calls and e-mail from parent about them the Corp mistreating their little boy. I have a cousin that teach a Auto class in high school and the stories he can tell about the youth of today. They only want to study or do only what they want to do and nothing else. Plus you noticed that very few school offer wood, metal shop and etc any more and most is due to insurance. I think higher education is great. The saddest thing so many people in the world that has no common sense and I belive without common sense their isn't much a person can do even with higher education.

Default trades

I have now passed the half century mark. Most of my life has been spent working with my hands. I grew up on a farm and learned a lot working with
    my Dad. The equipment that we had was old and we did the best we could with it. "Lease to purchase" definitely was not an option. There were some hot days spent behind a square baler also. While not knowing it at the time some life lessons were there for us.

1. You might not like that bale that is in front of you. Learn to deal with it because there are a thousand more before the day is done.

2. The bale is in your hands. You can deal with it and not be torn apart forever. You may not figure it out on the first try but it is there to be learned.

3. Food, clothing and shelter have been provided. Neccessities are there and there may be more.

4. Enjoy the day and what is around us. It is there so make the best use of it.

I had my jouneyman motor mechanic ticket before I was 22. I got my journeyman welding ticket when I was 46. I hope the youth of today can get the same opporunities that I had. Be proud to go into a trade and become a craftsman. I am the old one on the block now so I try to encourage the younger ones to be the best and not to worry so much about the clock at first.

Byron

This is one of the best threads I have read in the last 3 years!!!!I was very mad when my high school removed all auto mechanics,metal and wood shop classes in 1968, being in Florida,by the Cape, they wanted everyone to be a 'Rocket Scientist'....I had to go to college to get exposed to table saws and welding machines!!!!!!Thank God for art school...I mighta become a politician or something. Still mad about the education system.....now where is that can of flux????? Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Cool

Like this thread. It strikes at the heart of the youth of today. I used to be the the youth of today... what the... happened? My daughter asked me how she would know if a man was serious about her. I replied, Well honey you just go and pull out your buck knife, run your fingers down the blade with that gleem in your eye over a sharp knife. If he is still standing there when you look up, then he might be interesting.

Great thread, But What are we going to do? Just complain? No, we need to make sure we support or vo-techs and encourage kids where we can. I'm sure alot of you already do, but we need to pay attention to our kids and grandkids. And I dont mean by pampering them. I love what Skidsteer Steve told his daughter, He's right. On a side note, Woodshed, say hi to your son. I graduated from parris Island in Jan 1983. You should be proud of your son. Becoming a Marine is hard. Becoming a Marine Drill instructor is twice as hard. Talk about setting the example !!!!
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]