Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Health concerns

Hybrid View

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Default Health concerns

Tonight I went to pick up my dad from church and whe was telling me about a guy he knows at work, he has problems with his lungs hacking up black stuff ETC. He told my dad welding really "F*cked with his health" That made me think of my own health. I want to weld so I am got help with my welding today and I learned a way to hold the stinger that it keeps my face outof the smoke. But really if there really that many problems is there a way I can prevent buy doing something different int he way I work etc. But also are there that many health problems that you guys notice. The shop I am working at isnt safe at all they dont havegood ventalation or anything I am planning on leaving after I start college next year and try to got o a place I found out about that do TIG allum. mag. titanium or find a place with better ventalation because I dont want to give up the one thing im good at but really my health is worth more to me then anything so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I am interested in becoming a motorcycle fabricator or hot rod fab. If there is anywhere youguys know about or own that have good hours pay etc after I finish my red seal in welding and fab I will be interested

Thanks
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Get a positive air pressure welding helmet. Have your work area properly ventilated and take breaks to go outside or away from your work area. Stop smoking , if you smoke.

Jerry

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I quit smokign when I got the girlfriend been better since The ventilation int he building is crap its a big smoke cloud after someone is stick welding or flux for 10 ro fiffteen minutes.

There are many different helmets available with a built in breathing system, offered by Hornell and other manufacturers. North offers a stand alone unit that you can use with any welding helmet or face shield that your face piece fits under.

You may want to check into a half-face respirator. Several manufacturers make them that will fit under your hood.
    I've used several, all work OK, none really stand out.

Check with Health Canada to see what they can recommend.

Jerry